1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations: applying force to projectile

1. Apr 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The following series of differential equations represents a projectile's path when solved (g=9.81):
    nANP9I9.png
    Modify this series of differential equations to account for an additional force F with vector components a and b acting on the projectile.

Here is a sample plot of this system:
    TeUvVr2.png

2. Relevant equations
    See above.

3. The attempt at a solution

Knowing that gravity is a force with a positive i-component and negative j-component, I attempted to apply the same logic to F. This resulted in:

vdot = -g*sin(theta) + a*cos(theta) + b*sin(theta)
    and
    thetadot = -g/v*cos(theta) + a/v*sin(theta) + b/v*cos(theta)

However, that solution didn't appear to be correct, as when I plotted this out with F with a positive i-component and a negative j-component, I got this plot:
    ovgeY6g.png
    From intuition, the positive i-component should have caused the projectile path to move to the right more (hard to describe in words, but I hope you get what I mean), but instead, with my system (somehow), the projectile somehow happens to move to the left and go to the negative x-axis. Because my attempt to apply how gravity was represented in this system to how an arbitrary force would be represented, well, failed, I am currently stuck.

As this is my first post, I'm not sure whether it belongs in the introductory or advanced section (as it involves differential equations, but is a simple system). Sorry in advance if it's wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Check the signs in your thetadot equation.

4. Apr 9, 2015 #3
    Flipping the sign of the second term appears to make it be more reasonable, and I understand why that makes sense from a directional perspective. However, I'm unsure if the actual magnitude is correct, if you get what I'm saying...

Here's what it looks like with a flipped second term:
    BQrw8pV.png
    It's more reasonable, but I don't understand it from a trigonometry perspective. In addition, if that's the case, shouldn't I also flip the sign in the vdot equation? If not, why?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  5. Apr 9, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Patterns like
    +sin +cos
    -cos +sin
    arise frequently, since as a matrix it represents a rotation.
    While moving up and to the right, v is in the first quadrant but ##\dot \theta## is in the second quadrant, so a force horizontally to the right is positive for ##\dot v## but negative for ##\ddot \theta##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted