1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations - Method of Undetermined Coefficients

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've been having problems with a number of these things, here's the first one:
    y'' -2y' -3y = -3te-t

2. Relevant equations
    I know that the general solution will be
    y = yh + yp
    where yh is the general solution to the homogeneous equation, and yp
    is the particular solution of the non-homogeneous equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the homogeneous solutions very easily, but I'm tricked by how to solve for yp. I understand the principle of the solution if the right side of the equation was simply -3e-t, but when the extra t is thrown in there, my understanding breaks down.

I tried yp=t2e-t, differentiated twice, and then input these expressions into the equation. I just realized that I was supposed to use an unknown coefficient (A we'll call it) with my guess at yp. Since the terms on the right side are a product, will I just use A, or will I need some B as well? Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to use unknown coefficients, in plural :wink:. Try the solution in the form yp=(at2+bt+c)e-t.

ehild

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

IF [itex]e^{-t}[/itex] were not already a solution to the associated homogeneous equation, since the right side is [itex]te^{-t}[/itex], you would try [itex]y_p= (At+ B)e^{-t}[/itex]. Because [itex]e^{-t}[/itex] IS a solution to the associated homogeneous equation, you should try [itex]y_p= (At^2+ Bt)e^{-t}[/itex].

(You don't really need the "c" in ehild's suggestion. It wouldn't hurt, but you would find that c= 0.)

5. Sep 25, 2011 #4
    Thanks y'all! I'll be trying a little later this afternoon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook