1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations - Related Rate

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that a typical raindrop is spherical. Starting at some time, which we designate as t = 0, the raindrop of radius r sub o falls from rest from a cloud and begins to evaporate.

a) If it is assumed that a raindrop evaporates in such a manner that its shape remains spherical, then it also makes sense to assume that the rate at which the raindrop evaporates - that is, the rate at which it loses mass - is proportional to its surface area. Show that this latter assumption implies that the rate at which the radius r of the raindrop decreases is a constant. Find r(t).

There is a b part but I think I understand how that is done.

2. Relevant equations
    Surface Area of a Sphere is 4*pi*r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    -d(m)/dt is proportional to 4*pi*r2

dm/dt = -k*4*pi*r2

Where k is a constant to remove the proportionality.

if dr/dt = constant represented by c

then after we integrate that equation we get

r(t) = c1*t + c2

After that I did some really weird math that I don't think is possible. Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mass is density (rho) times volume. So you have (rho*(4/3)*pi*r(t)^3)'=k*4*pi*r(t)^2. Can you show that implies r'(t) is constant?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?