Differential Equations - Substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an initial value problem using substitution and integration. The steps involved are finding the formulas for du/dx and dy/dx, using them to substitute for u and solving the resulting separable equation. The final solution involves plugging in the initial conditions to find the constant.
sami23
Solve the Initial Value Problem:
dy/dx = (3x + 2y)/(3x + 2y + 2) , y(-1) = -1

I need to use substitution and use the formulas:
du/dx = A + B(dy/dx)
dy/dx = (1/B)*(du/dx - A)

Let u = 3x + 2y then du/dx = 3 + 2(dy/dx)
therefore A = 3, B = 2

Pluging it into the formula gives me:
(1/2)*(du/dx - 3) = (3x + 2y)/(3x + 2y + 2)

Now I would need to separate the equation and integrate both sides, replace back what I substituted and solve the IVP where x = -1 and y = -1 to find the constant.

How do i make this equation a separable equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
(1/2)*(du/dx - 3) = (u)/(u + 2)

Homework Statement

Solve the Initial Value Problem:
dy/dx = (3x + 2y)/(3x + 2y + 2) , y(-1) = -1

Homework Equations

I need to use substitution and use the formulas:
du/dx = A + B(dy/dx)
dy/dx = (1/B)*(du/dx - A)

The Attempt at a Solution

Let u = 3x + 2y then du/dx = 3 + 2(dy/dx)
therefore A = 3, B = 2

Pluging it into the formula gives me:
(1/2)*(du/dx - 3) = (3x + 2y)/(3x + 2y + 2)

Now I would need to separate the equation and integrate both sides, replace back what I substituted and solve the IVP where x = -1 and y = -1 to find the constant.

(u+2)/u du = 3/2 *2 dx

integrate both sides to get:
u + 2 ln |u| = 3x + c
(3x + 2y) + 2 ln |(3x + 2y)| = 3x + c

plugging in the initial conditions I got:
-2 + 2 ln |5| = c

therefore,
(3x + 2y) + 2 ln |(3x + 2y)| = 3x - 2 + 2 ln |5|

is this correct?

Hi sami23! :smile:
sami23 said:

(u+2)/u du = 3/2 *2 dx

Noooo :redface:

This is a question, not "learning materials". I am moving it.

1. What is the substitution method used for in differential equations?

The substitution method is used to solve differential equations that cannot be solved by direct integration. It involves substituting a new variable into the equation to transform it into a separable form, making it easier to integrate.

2. How do you choose the appropriate substitution in a differential equation?

The appropriate substitution in a differential equation is chosen based on the form of the equation. Generally, the substitution should simplify the equation and make it easier to integrate. Common substitutions include u-substitution, trigonometric substitutions, and power substitutions.

3. Can substitution always be used to solve a differential equation?

No, substitution can only be used to solve certain types of differential equations. It is not always possible to find a suitable substitution that will transform the equation into a separable form. In these cases, other methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters may be used.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the substitution method?

One limitation of the substitution method is that it may not always be possible to find a suitable substitution for a given differential equation. Additionally, the substitution may result in a more complicated equation that is difficult to solve. It also requires a good understanding of algebra and the ability to recognize patterns in equations.

5. How is the substitution method related to other methods of solving differential equations?

The substitution method is one of several techniques used to solve differential equations. It is closely related to the method of separation of variables, as both involve manipulating the equation to make it easier to integrate. It is also related to the method of integrating factors, as both involve multiplying the equation by a function to make it easier to solve.