Differential Equations with Discontinuous Forcing Functions

In summary, the student attempted to solve a linear differential equation using the Laplace transformation, but got stuck. After trying a partial fraction decomposition and applying the inverse Laplace, they found y(t) = u(t - \pi)-\cos (t-\pi)u(t-\pi) - u(t -2\pi)+\cos (t-2\pi)u(t-2\pi)+\sin t.
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

Solve the given initial value problem:
[itex] y'' + y = u(t-\pi) - u(t-2 \pi) [/itex]
[itex] y(0) = 0 [/itex]
[itex] y'(0) = 1 [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I took the Laplace transform of both sides:
[itex] \mathcal{L}[y'' + y ] = \mathcal{L}(u(t-\pi)) - \mathcal{L}(u(t-2 \pi)) [/itex]
[itex] (s^{2}Y(s) - sy(0) - y'(0)) + Y(s) = \frac{e^{-\pi s}}{s} - \frac{e^{-2 \pi s}}{s} [/itex]
[itex] s^{2}Y(s) - 1 + Y(s) = \frac{e^{-\pi s}-e^{-2 \pi s}}{s} + 1 [/itex]
[itex] Y(s)(s^{2}+1) = \frac{e^{-\pi s}-e^{-2 \pi s}+s}{s} [/itex]
[itex] Y(s) = \frac{e^{-\pi s}-e^{-2 \pi s} + s}{s(s^{2}+1)} [/itex]
At this point I get stuck, I tried doing a partial fraction decomp, but that didn't seem to get me anywhere closer to the solution..

Physics news on Phys.org
_N3WTON_ said:

Homework Statement

Solve the given initial value problem:
[itex] y'' + y = u(t-\pi) - u(t-2 \pi) [/itex]
[itex] y(0) = 0 [/itex]
[itex] y'(0) = 1 [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I took the Laplace transform of both sides:
[itex] \mathcal{L}[y'' + y ] = \mathcal{L}(u(t-\pi)) - \mathcal{L}(u(t-2 \pi)) [/itex]
[itex] (s^{2}Y(s) - sy(0) - y'(0)) + Y(s) = \frac{e^{-\pi s}}{s} - \frac{e^{-2 \pi s}}{s} [/itex]
[itex] s^{2}Y(s) - 1 + Y(s) = \frac{e^{-\pi s}-e^{-2 \pi s}}{s} + 1 [/itex]
[itex] Y(s)(s^{2}+1) = \frac{e^{-\pi s}-e^{-2 \pi s}+s}{s} [/itex]
[itex] Y(s) = \frac{e^{-\pi s}-e^{-2 \pi s} + s}{s(s^{2}+1)} [/itex]
At this point I get stuck, I tried doing a partial fraction decomp, but that didn't seem to get me anywhere closer to the solution..
I haven't checked your algebra, but assuming it is correct you need to use the formula$$
\mathcal Lf(t-a)u(t-a) = e^{-as}\mathcal L(f(t)) = e^{-as}F(s)$$So if you have a transform ##F(s)## that is multiplied by ##e^{-as}## all you have to do is invert the ##F(s)## to ##f(t)## then truncate and translate it go get ##f(t-a)u(t-a)##. So just break up your problem into three fractions and work them separately.

LCKurtz said:
I haven't checked your algebra, but assuming it is correct you need to use the formula$$
\mathcal Lf(t-a)u(t-a) = e^{-as}\mathcal L(f(t)) = e^{-as}F(s)$$So if you have a transform ##F(s)## that is multiplied by ##e^{-as}## all you have to do is invert the ##F(s)## to ##f(t)## then truncate and translate it go get ##f(t-a)u(t-a)##. So just break up your problem into three fractions and work them separately.
ah, ok.. So I'll have something like:
[itex] Y(s) = \frac{e^{-\pi s}}{s(s^{2}+1)} - \frac{e^{-2\pi s}}{s(s^{2}+1)} + \frac{1}{s^{2}+1} [/itex]
Then I would do a decomposition on this last fraction and then apply the inverse Laplace?

LCKurtz said:
_N3WTON_ said:
ah, ok.. So I'll have something like:
[itex] Y(s) = \frac{e^{-\pi s}}{s(s^{2}+1)} - \frac{e^{-2\pi s}}{s(s^{2}+1)} + \frac{1}{s^{2}+1} [/itex]
Then I would do a decomposition on this last fraction and then apply the inverse Laplace?

Yes. Use the formula on each of the first two and do the third one by itself. Then add the three answers.

LCKurtz said:
Yes. Use the formula on each of the first two and do the third one by itself. Then add the three answers.
ok...I'm getting a lot of terms so I wanted to make sure I'm doing this correctly. For my decomposition I found:
[itex] \frac{1}{s(s^{2}+1)} = \frac{1}{s} - \frac{s}{s^{2}+1} [/itex]
Therefore, I found the following:
[itex] Y(s) = \frac{e^{-\pi s}}{s} - \frac{se^{-\pi s}}{s^{2}+1} - \frac{e^{-2\pi s}}{s} + \frac{se^{-2\pi s}}{s^{2}+1} - \frac{1}{s^{2}+1} [/itex]
So after applying the inverse Laplace I get:
[itex] y(t) = u(t - \pi)-\cos (t-\pi)u(t-\pi) - u(t -2\pi)+\cos (t-2\pi)u(t-2\pi)+\sin t [/itex]
The above answer can probably be simplified, but I'll worry about that later :)

Last edited:
That's the idea. Hopefully it's starting to look more like your given solution.

LCKurtz said:
That's the idea. Hopefully it's starting to look more like your given solution.
It definitely looks close, the given solution is:
[itex] \sin t + u(t-\pi)(1-\cos (t-\pi)) - u(t-2\pi)(1-\cos (t -2\pi)) [/itex]
I need to check and make sure my signs are okay, but I think I've got the hang of it, thanks for the help!

1. What is a discontinuous forcing function in a differential equation?

A discontinuous forcing function in a differential equation is a function that is defined differently for different intervals of the independent variable. This means that the function has a jump or break in its graph, which can cause sudden changes in the solution of the differential equation.

2. How do you solve a differential equation with a discontinuous forcing function?

The approach to solving a differential equation with a discontinuous forcing function depends on the type of function and the type of differential equation. In general, the solution can be found by dividing the problem into different intervals and solving the differential equation separately for each interval, and then combining the solutions using appropriate boundary conditions.

3. What are some common examples of differential equations with discontinuous forcing functions?

Some commonly encountered examples of differential equations with discontinuous forcing functions include the step function, the Heaviside function, and the Dirac delta function. These functions are often used to model real-world situations such as sudden changes in temperature, pressure, or electrical current.

4. How do discontinuous forcing functions affect the stability of a differential equation?

Discontinuous forcing functions can significantly affect the stability of a differential equation. In some cases, they can cause the solution to become unstable and oscillate. In other cases, they may lead to multiple stable solutions or no stable solutions at all. Proper analysis and understanding of the discontinuous forcing function are essential for determining the stability of a differential equation.

5. Can a differential equation with a discontinuous forcing function have a smooth solution?

It is possible for a differential equation with a discontinuous forcing function to have a smooth solution, depending on the type of function and the type of differential equation. In some cases, the solution may have a jump or break at the point of discontinuity, but it can still be considered a smooth solution. However, in other cases, the solution may not be smooth and may have discontinuities in its derivatives as well.