Differential Geometry: angle between a line to a curve and a vector

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem that involves finding the value of θ'(t) for a regular, parametrized curve in the xy plane. The equation to be proven involves the cross product of the curve's tangent vector and a vector from a fixed point p to the curve, divided by the magnitude of the vector from p to the curve squared. The person discussing the problem is unsure of how to approach it, but realizes that the equation makes sense in 2D space and can be extended to 3D space.
iceblits

Homework Statement

Let α(t) be a regular, parametrized curve in the xy plane viewed as a subset of ℝ^3. Let p be a fixed point not on the curve. Let u be a fixed vector. Let θ(t) be the angle that α(t)-p makes with the direction u. Prove that:

θ'(t)=||α'(t) X (α(t)-p)||/(||(α(t)-p)||)^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to approach this problem. I know what it is asking though. I have tried to extend the tangent line to the point of intersection and meeting it with u to make a triangle and applying the law of cosines but that didn't get me anywhere. I suspect this problem will ask me to use the angle definition of cross product: aXb=absin(θ) but I really don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org

are you sure that you have written the question down correctly? The equation you are trying to prove doesn't contain u, but does contain theta. Which makes me think that it might not be right.

EDIT: Ah, wait, I'm just being stupid. The equation is correct. The curve lies in a 2d space. So to begin with, imagine p was not in the equation, and imagine that u is a fixed vector in 2d space and so a is just a vector in 2d, and the equation only involves 2d space. Do you recognise the equation then? Then later, you can show that adding p and making u 3d doesn't change the equation.

Last edited:

1. What is Differential Geometry?

Differential Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of curves and surfaces in a multi-dimensional space. It uses techniques from calculus and linear algebra to analyze the geometric properties of these objects.

2. What is the angle between a line and a curve in Differential Geometry?

The angle between a line and a curve in Differential Geometry is the angle formed by the tangent line to the curve and the line connecting the point of tangency to the origin. It is also known as the angle of inclination or slope of the curve at that point.

3. How is the angle between a line and a curve calculated?

The angle between a line and a curve is calculated using the concept of the derivative. The tangent line to the curve at a given point is found using the derivative, and then the angle between this tangent line and the line connecting the point of tangency to the origin is calculated using trigonometric functions.

4. What is the significance of the angle between a line and a curve in Differential Geometry?

The angle between a line and a curve is an important concept in Differential Geometry as it helps in understanding the geometric properties of curves and surfaces. It is used to determine the direction of a curve at a given point, which is crucial in many applications such as robotics, computer graphics, and physics.

5. Can the angle between a line and a curve be negative?

Yes, the angle between a line and a curve can be negative. This happens when the curve is concave downwards and the tangent line has a negative slope. In this case, the angle between the tangent line and the line connecting the point of tangency to the origin is greater than 90 degrees, making the angle between the line and the curve negative.