1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Geometry book on 3D Euclidn space - worth reading?

1. Aug 30, 2014 #1
    I bought a book (Differential Geometry by Kreyszig) based on really good reviews because I'm planning to learn general relativity later. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the description because apparently it's completely focused on "three-dimensional Euclidean space."

Will this book even be worth reading even though it's so limited to Euclidean space? If not, could someone recommend another a differential geometry book that may have solutions available (so that it's okay for self-study)?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

The classic book on GR: Gravitation by Misner, Thorne and Wheeler covers tensor analysis, differential forms in the context of 4D differerntial geometry.

Another really good book is Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell by Zee which is fairly recent and covers a lot of new material not in Wheelers book.

I think Kreyszigs book will still be useful though because we still think in 3D to understand the concepts before we extend them to other dimensions.

4. Aug 31, 2014 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

from my reading of the books contents, it is rather focused entirely on differential geometry of curves and surfaces, which I think is quite basic and central to understanding the subject.

5. Aug 31, 2014 #4
    Okay, awesome. I guess I'll get to work on it. Thanks!

6. Sep 2, 2014 #5
    As well as being a fun subject on its own, studying the "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" should give you some intuition about curvature.

If you want a book that also covers local surface theory but then ramps up to some pretty sophisticated math (fiber bundles and gauge theory), but without a background in topology needed, there's the book by Darling:

https://www.amazon.com/Differential-Forms-Connections-R-Darling/dp/0521468000

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted