1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential geometry: coordinate patches

1. May 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a coordinate patch x: U--->[tex]\Re^{3}[/tex]show that[tex]u^{1}[/tex]is arc length on the [tex]u^{1}[/tex] curves iff [tex]g_{11} \equiv 1[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution

So i know arc legth of a curve [tex]\alpha (t) = \frac{ds}{dt} = \sum g_{ij} \frac {d\alpha^{i}}{dt} \frac {d\alpha^{j}}{dt}[/tex] (well thats actually arclength squared but whatever).

But im not sure how to write this for just a [tex]u^{1}[/tex] curve. A [tex]u^{1}[/tex] curve throught the point P= x(a,b) is [tex]\alpha(u^{1})= x(u^{1},b)[/tex]

But i have no idea how to find this arclength applies to u^1 curves.

Furthermore i know some stuff about our metric [tex]g_{ij}(u^{1}, u^{2})= <x_{i}(u^{1}, u^{2}), x_{j}(u^{1}, u^{2})[/tex]

But i do not know how to use that to show that u^1 must be arclength but here is what i have so far:

[tex]g_{11}(u^{1}, b)= <x_{1}(u^{1}, u^{2}), x_{2}(u^{1}, u^{2})>[/tex] We know that [tex]x_{1}= (1,0)[/tex] and that is as far as i got :/

Any help appreciated.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2
    bump, i still need help on this

4. May 31, 2010 #3
    one last bump, can anybody help me on this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?