1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Geometry Proof (Need a Hand)

1. Jan 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let alpha(t) be a regular curve. Suppose there is a point a in R^3 space s.t. alpha(t)-a is orthogonal to T(t) for all t. Prove that alpha(t) lies on a sphere.

2. Relevant equations
    A regular curve in R^3 is a function alpha: (a,b)-->R^3 which is of class C^k for some k (greater than or equal to) 1 and for which the time derviative does not equal zero for all t in (a,b) Note: For this book all classes will be C^3, unless stated. (it is not stated otherwise in this problem so assume C^3).

T(t)= Tangent vector field to a regular curve as defined by (d(alpha)/dt)/norm(d(alpha)/dt)).

Hints: what should be the center of the sphere?
    3. The attempt at a solution

And here is where I get stuck, I have not been given a crietria for a curve to lie on a sphere (and if I had oh so many years ago I have long since forgotten it). All of my attempts so far have fallen apart due to assumptions I have had to make, which without a guide towards showing something lies on a curve, I am not sure are justified.

Just a hint, aside from the one given, is all I need to get some of my juices following. I know it isn't proper form to not show my solution; however, it won't be of use as I don't really know where I am heading with it.

Any help would be great.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First find the answer to the hint given (what should be the center of the sphere?) and my hint is "if [itex]\vec{\alpha}(t)=(\alpha^1,\alpha^3,\alpha^3)[/itex] lies on the sphere then what is the relation btw the coordinates [itex]\alpha^i[/itex]?"
  4. Jan 14, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To prove [itex]\alpha[/itex] lies on a sphere, find a point C such that [itex]|\alpha (t) - C|[/itex] is a constant. 1) Do you see why this proves that [itex]\alpha[/itex] lies on a sphere? 2) Can you see, with the right guess for C, how to prove that [itex]|\alpha (t) - C|[/itex] is a constant?
  5. Jan 14, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It may be helpful to consider a simplfied example with a kinematical interpretation.
    Consider a particle travelling on a circle. What are the relations between the displacement vector [from the origin of the circle] and the velocity vector?
  6. Jan 14, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the help guys, I think I got it (I am going to run through it with someone else), then I will post it.

Thanks for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?