Differential Geometry Proof (Need a Hand)

In summary, the homework statement is that a regular curve in R^3 space lies on a sphere if and only if the point C lies on the curve and the displacement vector [from the origin of the circle] and the velocity vector are related in a certain way.
^_^physicist

Homework Statement

Let alpha(t) be a regular curve. Suppose there is a point a in R^3 space s.t. alpha(t)-a is orthogonal to T(t) for all t. Prove that alpha(t) lies on a sphere.

Homework Equations

Definations:
A regular curve in R^3 is a function alpha: (a,b)-->R^3 which is of class C^k for some k (greater than or equal to) 1 and for which the time derviative does not equal zero for all t in (a,b) Note: For this book all classes will be C^3, unless stated. (it is not stated otherwise in this problem so assume C^3).

T(t)= Tangent vector field to a regular curve as defined by (d(alpha)/dt)/norm(d(alpha)/dt)).

Hints: what should be the center of the sphere?

The Attempt at a Solution

And here is where I get stuck, I have not been given a crietria for a curve to lie on a sphere (and if I had oh so many years ago I have long since forgotten it). All of my attempts so far have fallen apart due to assumptions I have had to make, which without a guide towards showing something lies on a curve, I am not sure are justified.

Just a hint, aside from the one given, is all I need to get some of my juices following. I know it isn't proper form to not show my solution; however, it won't be of use as I don't really know where I am heading with it.

Any help would be great.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First find the answer to the hint given (what should be the center of the sphere?) and my hint is "if [itex]\vec{\alpha}(t)=(\alpha^1,\alpha^3,\alpha^3)[/itex] lies on the sphere then what is the relation btw the coordinates [itex]\alpha^i[/itex]?"

To prove [itex]\alpha[/itex] lies on a sphere, find a point C such that [itex]|\alpha (t) - C|[/itex] is a constant. 1) Do you see why this proves that [itex]\alpha[/itex] lies on a sphere? 2) Can you see, with the right guess for C, how to prove that [itex]|\alpha (t) - C|[/itex] is a constant?

It may be helpful to consider a simplfied example with a kinematical interpretation.
Consider a particle traveling on a circle. What are the relations between the displacement vector [from the origin of the circle] and the velocity vector?

Thanks for the help guys, I think I got it (I am going to run through it with someone else), then I will post it.

Thanks for the help.

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves, surfaces, and other geometric objects using techniques from calculus and linear algebra. It is used to understand the behavior of objects in curved space, such as planets and galaxies in the universe.

2. What is a differential geometry proof?

A differential geometry proof is a mathematical argument that uses the principles and techniques of differential geometry to demonstrate the truth of a statement or theorem. It involves using equations, properties, and geometric concepts to show the logical steps needed to arrive at a conclusion.

3. Why is differential geometry important?

Differential geometry has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is also a fundamental tool for understanding the geometry of curved spaces, which has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of nature.

4. What are some common techniques used in differential geometry proofs?

Some common techniques used in differential geometry proofs include the use of coordinate systems, vector calculus, and differential equations. Other important tools include theorems such as the Gauss-Bonnet theorem and the fundamental theorem of hypersurfaces.

5. Are there any real-world examples of differential geometry proofs?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of differential geometry proofs. For instance, Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the behavior of gravity, is based on differential geometry. Differential geometry is also used in engineering to design curved structures and in computer graphics to model and animate 3D objects.