1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Geometry Question

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume that [tex]\tau(s) \neq 0[/tex] and [tex]k'(x) \neq 0[/tex] for all [tex]s \in I[/tex]. Show that a necessary and sufficient condition for [tex]\alpha(I)[/tex] to lie on a sphere is that [tex]R^2 + (R')^2T^2 = const[/tex] where [tex]R = 1/k[/tex], [tex]T = 1/\tau[/tex], and [tex]R' = \frac{dr}{ds}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\alpha(s)[/tex] is a curve in R3 parametrized by arc length
    [tex]k = curvature = |\alpha''|[/tex]
    [tex]\tau = torsion = -\frac{\alpha' \times \alpha'' \cdot \alpha'''}{k^2}[/tex] (note sign; this is opposite of some conventions)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've approached this from 2 directions, but I haven't gotten them to meet. First, a necessary and sufficient condition is that [tex]|\alpha - P|[/tex] is constant, where P is the center of the circle. Alternatively, [tex](\alpha - P) \cdot \alpha' = 0[/tex].
    And I've expanded out [tex]R^2 + (R')^2T^2 = const[/tex] to get
    [tex]\frac{(\alpha' \times \alpha'' \cdot \alpha''')^2 + (\alpha'' \cdot \alpha''')^2}{(\alpha'' \cdot \alpha'')(\alpha' \times \alpha'' \cdot \alpha''')^2} = const[/tex]
    Also, I'm going to guess that the const on the right hand side is some function of the radius of the sphere, maybe the square of it (which would be [tex](\alpha - P) \cdot (\alpha - P)[/tex]), because what else is constant in a sphere?

But I don't know where to go from here. I'm just looking for a hint at an avenue of approach, please nothing specific.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2008 #2
    So if I assume that the "const" in question is the square of the radius, that could make R and (R')T the lengths of respective legs of a right triangle whose hypotenuse is the radius. I know that R is the radius of curvature, so drawing a diagram I'm guessing that the center P is
    [tex]P = Rn - (R')Tb[/tex]
    (where n is the normal vector [tex]\alpha''/|\alpha''|[/tex] and b = [tex] t \times n [/tex] is the binormal vector).
    So then the sphere radius I want to test, [tex](\alpha-P) \cdot (\alpha-P)[/tex], becomes [tex](\alpha - Rn + (R')Tb) \cdot (\alpha - Rn + (R')Tb)[/tex]
    [tex]= \alpha \cdot \alpha - 2 R \alpha \cdot n + 2 R' T \alpha \cdot b + R^2 + (R')^2T^2[/tex]
    Now if I assume that [tex]R^2 + (R')^2T^2 [/tex] is constant I need to show that [tex] \alpha \cdot \alpha - 2 R \alpha \cdot n + 2 R' T \alpha \cdot b [/tex] is constant to show the sphere radius is constant. Am I on the right track?

4. Feb 10, 2008 #3
    Revised guess for center P:
    [tex]P = \alpha + Rn - (R')Tb[/tex]
    so now the constant radius follows immediately and I simply have to show that P itself is constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?