1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Geometry Question

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an explicit unit-speed non-degenerate space curve [tex]\vec{r}:(0,\infinity)\rightarrow\Re^{3}[/tex] whose curvature and torsion [tex]\kappa,\tau:(0,\infinity)\rightarrow\Re[/tex] are given by the functions [tex]\kappa(s)=\tau(s)=\frac{1}{s}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    the only thing that I can think of that would help us here are the Frenet equations:
    [tex]t'=\kappa n[/tex]
    [tex]n'=-\kappa t -\tau b[/tex]
    [tex]b'=\tau n[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    If we are to have [tex]\kappa(s)=\tau(s)=\frac{1}{s}[/tex], then we must have
    [tex]t'=\frac{1}{s} t[/tex] and
    [tex]b'=\frac{1}{s} t[/tex], thus
    [tex]t'=b'[/tex]. I'm not sure what to do after this point, as I messed with these equations for awhile to no avail.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

hi dahaka14

from your frenet equations you have
    [tex]\textbf{t}'=\kappa \textbf{n}[/tex]
    [tex]\textbf{b}'=-\tau \textbf{n}[/tex]

write down a vector a, with some constants c & d we will choose
    [tex]\textbf{a}= c\textbf{t} + d \textbf{n}[/tex]

differentiating
    [tex]\textbf{a}'= c.\textbf{t}' + d .\textbf{b}'= c .\kappa .\textbf{n} - d.\tau .\textbf{n} = \frac{1}{s} (c-d) \textbf{n}[/tex]

so choose c=d and the vector a is constant, might as well make a a unit vector so set:
    [tex]c = d = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

now think about the dot product of a with t and what this means...
    hopefully this helps you get started...

4. Apr 2, 2009 #3
    The dot product should give
    [tex]\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{t}=c\textbf{t}\cdot\textbf{t}=\frac{\textbf{t}\cdot\textbf{t}}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

I'm not sure where to go from here. The only thing that I have been able to think of is that perhaps the curve should be a helix, since a helix is such that [tex]\frac{\tau}{\kappa}[/tex] is constant.

Edit: that LaTeX image should have:
    torsion/curvature=constant

5. Apr 2, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

yeah i think you are on the right track, as i understand it a general helix is defined as when [tex]\frac{\tau}{\kappa}[/tex] is constant, which is equivalent to the tangent vector making a constant angle with some vector, say a, which is what your dot product shows as t.t = 1

Not 100% where to go, but picking an aribtrary (a), then for s=0, a starting t which matches your dot product could be a good place to start

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook