1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential of triangles and anlges

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    Given cosine rule: L=[tex]\sqrt{(r_{1})^{2}+(r_{2})^{2}-2r_{1}r_{2}cosx}[/tex]

Consider a triangle with side lengths measured at [tex]r_{1}=3, r_{2}=4[/tex], and included angle x=[tex]\pi/2[/tex], each measured accurate to within 1%. Write down the differential dL in terms of [tex]dr_{1}, dr_{2}[/tex] and [tex]dx[/tex], and use this to estimate the maximum possible percentage error in L.

Any help? :S
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: differentials

What kind of help do you want? You haven't done anything at all. You are asked to write the differential dL. What is the derivative of L with respect to each of the variables? You might find it easier to use [itex]L^2= r_1^2+ r_2^2- 2r_1r_2 cos(x)[/itex] and find the differential from that.
  4. Oct 26, 2008 #3

I got dL= 1/L (0.03(r1-r2cosx) + 0.04(r2-r1cosx) + 0.005pi(r1r2sinx)).. wasn't sure if that was right.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  5. Oct 26, 2008 #4

My bad..
    I got [tex]|dL|\leq\ 1/L[0.03(r_{1}+r_{2}cosx)+0.04(r_{2}+r_{1}cosx)-0.005\pi(r_{1}r_{2}sinx)][/tex]

If that's right, any hints on what I do next?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?