Differentiate with respect to x

In summary, to differentiate -sin2x, we use the chain rule and let z = -sinx and y = z2. This gives us dz/dx = -cosx and dy/dz = 2z. Using the product rule, we get dy/dx = dz/dx * dy/dz = -cosx * 2z = -2cosx * sinx. However, if we let z = -sinx and y = -z2, we get dz/dx = -cosx and dy/dz = -2z. This gives us dy/dx = dz/dx * dy/dz = -cosx * (-2z) = 2cosx * sinx.
lubo

Homework Statement

Differentiate -sin2x

Homework Equations

CHAIN RULE dy/dx=dz/dx*dy/dz
PRODUCT RULE

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the chain rule;

let z = -sinx let y = z2

dz/dx = -cosx dy/dz = 2z

dy/dx=dz/dx*dy/dz = -cosx*2-sinx = 2cosx*sinx

If I use the chain rule:

let u = -sinx let v = -sinx

du/dx = -cosx dv/dx = -cosx

udv/dx+vdu/dx = -sinx*-cosx + -sinx*-cosx

= 2sinx*cosx

My book answer says -2sinxcosx ?

Also on a website says:

Expression

Function -sin(x)^2
f'x = -2*cos(x)*sin(x)

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
(-sin x)2 is not the same as - (sin2 x).
If you let z = -sin x, then y = -z2.

CompuChip said:
(-sin x)2 is not the same as - (sin2 x).].

What about -sinx*sinx. Does this equal -sinx2 or -sin2x ? or what you have put?

I would write (-sin x)2 = (-sinx)(-sinx) ? (but this = sinx2 and thus it might be -(sinx*sinx) ?and you are saying it is not equal to - (sin2 x) = -sinx*sinx. I think?

Could you put a few lines together to explain this please?

Why did you put the - sign outside of the brackets?

CompuChip said:
If you let z = -sin x, then y = -z2.

If I do it like you said I get:

let z = -sinx let y = -z2

dz/dx = -cosx dy/dz = -2z

dy/dx=dz/dx*dy/dz = -cosx*-2-sinx = -2cosx*sinx

I thought that the minus sign would be taken after within Z and it would not need to be added outside as in the first instance?

Thanks.

Squaring has higher priority than multiplication (by -1), so when we write -z2, we mean -(z2) = - z * z.
This is something else than (-z)2, which would be (-z) * (-z) = z * z = z2.

In the case of a sine function, we abbreviate (sin x)2 to sin2 x. This is done to distinguish from sin x2 = sin(x2) while not having to write the brackets.

So -sin2 x means negative the square of the sine of x: -1 * (sin x) * (sin x), as opposed to -sin(x2) (which cannot be simplified further) or (-sin x)2 = (-sin x) * (-sin x) = sin x * sin x = sin2 x.

Excellent, many thanks.

1. What does it mean to differentiate with respect to x?

Differentiating with respect to x is a mathematical operation used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to the independent variable, x. It essentially means finding the derivative of a function with respect to x.

2. Why is it important to differentiate with respect to x?

Differentiating with respect to x allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and understand how it changes as the independent variable, x, changes. It also helps us solve optimization problems and find the maximum or minimum values of a function.

3. How do you differentiate with respect to x?

To differentiate with respect to x, we use a set of rules and formulas known as the derivative rules. These rules tell us how to find the derivative of a wide variety of functions, including polynomials, exponential, and trigonometric functions.

4. What is the difference between differentiating with respect to x and differentiating with respect to y?

Differentiating with respect to x means finding the rate of change of a function with respect to the independent variable, x. On the other hand, differentiating with respect to y means finding the rate of change of a function with respect to the dependent variable, y. The process may be slightly different, but the end result is the same - the derivative of the function.

5. Can you differentiate with respect to x if the function has more than one variable?

Yes, we can differentiate with respect to x even if the function has more than one variable. In this case, we use the partial derivative, which tells us how the function changes with respect to x while holding all other variables constant.