Differentiating Descartes' folium

In summary, the textbook says to differentiate both sides of x^3 + y^3 = 6xy with respect to x, and to use the chain rule and the product rule on the y^3 and 6xy terms, respectively.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-01-25at95147PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

When the textbook says: Differentiating both sides of x^3 + y^3 = 6xy with respect to x, regarding y as a function of x, and using the Chain Rule on the y^3 term and the Product Rule on the 6xy term, we get

I really don't get what they're saying. I understand chain rule and product rule, but where the y' and the 6xy comes from I don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take y to be a function of x. You don't understand why e.g. d/dx(y(x)^3)=3*y(x)^2*dy(x)/dx? Which is (y^3)'=3y^2*y'. That's just the chain rule.

Last edited:
bobsmith76 said:
When the textbook says: Differentiating both sides of x^3 + y^3 = 6xy with respect to x, regarding y as a function of x, and using the Chain Rule on the y^3 term and the Product Rule on the 6xy term, we get

I really don't get what they're saying. I understand chain rule and product rule, but where the y' and the 6xy comes from I don't know.

If z = f(x) and x = f(y), then dz/dy = [dz/dx]*[dx/dy]. This is the chain rule.

In this problem, let z = y^3. Then, d(y^3)/dx = [d(y^3)/dy]*[dy/dx] = (3y^2)*y'.

y^3 cannot be differentiated w.r.t. x, so the chain rule is used to rewrite the derivative so that y^3 can be differentiated w.r.t. y and an answer obtained.

As for the product rule, we know that if z(x) = u(x)*v(x), then dz/dx = [u(x)*(dv/dx)] + [v(x)*(du/dx)]. This is the product rule.

In this problem, let z(x) = 6xy, u(x) = 6x and v(x) = y(x). Then, d(6xy)/dx = [6x*(dy/dx)] + [y*6] = 6y + 6xy'.

Shoot any questions you might still have.

I consulted some youtube videos. I understand it now. Thanks for your help.

1. What is Descartes' Folium?

Descartes' Folium, also known as the Cartesian Folium, is a mathematical curve named after French philosopher and mathematician, René Descartes. It is a type of algebraic curve that is defined by the equation x^3 + y^3 = 3axy.

2. How is Descartes' Folium different from other curves?

Unlike other curves, Descartes' Folium does not have a single tangent line at any given point. Instead, it has two tangent lines at each point, which makes it a unique and interesting curve to study.

3. What is the significance of Descartes' Folium?

Descartes' Folium has been studied extensively by mathematicians due to its unique properties and its role in understanding the fundamental concept of tangents. It has also been used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. How can Descartes' Folium be differentiated?

To differentiate Descartes' Folium, we can use the standard rules of differentiation and the implicit differentiation method. By taking the derivative of the equation x^3 + y^3 = 3axy with respect to x, we can obtain the slope of the tangent lines at any given point on the curve.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Descartes' Folium?

Yes, Descartes' Folium has been used in various real-world applications, such as designing car engines, creating computer graphics, and studying the behavior of fluids in pipes. It has also been used in solving problems related to motion, such as finding the trajectory of a projectile.