1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiating Descartes' folium

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Screenshot2012-01-25at95147PM.png

3. The attempt at a solution

When the textbook says: Differentiating both sides of x^3 + y^3 = 6xy with respect to x, regarding y as a function of x, and using the Chain Rule on the y^3 term and the Product Rule on the 6xy term, we get

I really don't get what they're saying. I understand chain rule and product rule, but where the y' and the 6xy comes from I don't know.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take y to be a function of x. You don't understand why e.g. d/dx(y(x)^3)=3*y(x)^2*dy(x)/dx? Which is (y^3)'=3y^2*y'. That's just the chain rule.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    If z = f(x) and x = f(y), then dz/dy = [dz/dx]*[dx/dy]. This is the chain rule.

In this problem, let z = y^3. Then, d(y^3)/dx = [d(y^3)/dy]*[dy/dx] = (3y^2)*y'.

y^3 cannot be differentiated w.r.t. x, so the chain rule is used to rewrite the derivative so that y^3 can be differentiated w.r.t. y and an answer obtained.

As for the product rule, we know that if z(x) = u(x)*v(x), then dz/dx = [u(x)*(dv/dx)] + [v(x)*(du/dx)]. This is the product rule.

In this problem, let z(x) = 6xy, u(x) = 6x and v(x) = y(x). Then, d(6xy)/dx = [6x*(dy/dx)] + [y*6] = 6y + 6xy'.

Shoot any questions you might still have.

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4
    I consulted some youtube videos. I understand it now. Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook