Differentiating exponential functions

In summary, Dick is looking for help with differentiate and is uncertain about whether or not the three equations he has are correct. He is also having trouble understanding how to graph functions.
calculusthis
k guys.. i'd like to try to figure out how to get to the derrivatives on my own so really just looking for a right or wrong.
1. f(x) = e^(3x^2+x) find f'(2)

f'(x) = e^(3x^2+x) * (6x+1)

f'(2)= e^(3(2)^2+2) * [6(2)+1]
f'(2)=13e^14 ... correct?2) find slope of the tangent to the function f(x) = 2^(x^2+3x) when x=3

f'(x) = (2x+3) 2^(x^2+3x) ln2

f'(3)= [2(3)+3] 2^[3^2+(3)(3)] ln 2
f'(3) = 1 635 339.37 ... correct?3) y = xe^(2x)
y' = 2x^2e^(2x) + e^(2x) ... correct?4) f(x) = 3^x + x^3
f'(x= 3^x ln 3 + 3x^2 ... correct?5) y= e^-(2x+5)
y' = e^(-2x-5) * (-2) ... correct?6) y = e^(3x^2-5x+7)
y' = e^(3x^2-5x+7) * (6x-5) ... correct?If anyone can quickly tell me if these are differentiated correctly it would be very helpful. I'm new to doing this type of work and find myself second guessing most my results.
thanx for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They look fine.

For #3, you could factor out e2x.

Added in Edit:

Well ... Dick is right, there is a problem with #3.

Last edited:
I would check (3) again.

thanx guys... did you mean there's a problem with 3 other than i didnt factor out the e^2x?

I've been trying to work 3 differently but keep coming up with the same.. could someone show me where I'm going wrong please?

calculusthis said:
I've been trying to work 3 differently but keep coming up with the same.. could someone show me where I'm going wrong please?

Your first term in 3 should be x time the derivative of e^(2x). What's the derivative of e^(2x)?

the derivative of e^(2x) is... e^(2x)*(2x)..correct?

ohh wait i see.. just 2 not 2x lol

so the final answer should be y'=e^(2x)*(2x+1) ...?

calculusthis said:
ohh wait i see.. just 2 not 2x lol

You got it.

thanx a lot. ... I have another question about graphing.. If I'm given a graph of f'(x).. and it asks me to find a possible graph of f(x) and f''(x)... should I know the shape of f''(x) based off of f'(x) or am I just finding a possible graph for that as well?

To make a sketch of f''(x) just think about what the derivative of f'(x) should look like. f''(x) is just the slope of the curve f'(x). Right? To sketch a graph of f(x) think about what the integral of f'(x) would look like.

oh ok. So if I'm just given a graph and representing the function and not the equation of the function I'm just showing what the graphs should look like. Not what they actually look like.
thanx dick... you know, its not true what they say about you... you really don't like up to the name lol

calculusthis said:
oh ok. So if I'm just given a graph and representing the function and not the equation of the function I'm just showing what the graphs should look like. Not what they actually look like.
thanx dick... you know, its not true what they say about you... you really don't like up to the name lol

Well, your sketch of the graph of f''(x) should look pretty close to the graph you would get if you were given an equation. Where f'(x) is increasing, f''(x) better be positive, etc. The sketch of f(x) has a little more variable. Since integration give you a +C arbitrary constant you can shift the graph up or down. You are very welcome. And thanks for the compliment :).

ok... I'm going to add some pics.. could you let me know if there's anything i should change?

Attachments

• unti2lesson821given.JPG
    unti2lesson821given.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 332
  • unti2lesson821possibleh'(x).JPG
    unti2lesson821possibleh'(x).JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 321
  • unti2lesson924given.JPG
    unti2lesson924given.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 335
wait the last one is the wrong pic...

this is h''(x)

Attachments

• unit2lesson821h''(x).JPG
    unit2lesson821h''(x).JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 361
calculusthis said:
wait the last one is the wrong pic...

If you were going to multiply the last one by (-1), then everything looks ok. And you can shift the first one by any constant up or down, and it would still be ok.

calculusthis said:
this is h''(x)

Yes, ok!

well the first one is f(x) and it is given. the other two are the ones its asking for...

thanx again dick

1. What is the definition of an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in the form of y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the independent variable. The base, b, is usually greater than 1 and determines the rate of growth or decay of the function.

2. How do you differentiate an exponential function?

To differentiate an exponential function, you can use the power rule of differentiation, which states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1). For example, the derivative of 2^x is ln(2) * 2^x, where ln(2) is the natural logarithm of 2.

3. What is the significance of the base in an exponential function?

The base in an exponential function affects the rate of change of the function. If the base is greater than 1, the function will increase rapidly and if the base is between 0 and 1, the function will decrease rapidly. A base of 1 results in a constant function, while a negative base results in an inverse exponential function.

4. How can you use the differentiation of exponential functions in real-life applications?

Differentiating exponential functions can be useful in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating compound interest in finance or modeling population growth in biology. It can also be used in physics to analyze radioactive decay and in chemistry to study reaction rates.

5. Can you differentiate a composite exponential function?

Yes, you can differentiate a composite exponential function using the chain rule. The chain rule states that the derivative of f(g(x)) is f'(g(x)) * g'(x). In the case of a composite exponential function, the derivative of the outer function (exponential) remains the same, while the derivative of the inner function (power) is multiplied to it.