Differentiating velocity function

In summary, to differentiate a function you take the derivative and to integrate a function you take the anti-derivative. The derivative of a constant is zero and the integral of a constant is that constant multiplied by the independent variable.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

Differentiate:

[itex]v = 3t^2 - 14t + 8[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if you do anything with the constant "+ 8" is it ignored when differentiating?

if its ignored then the answer is:

[itex]a = \frac{dv}{dt} = 6t - 14[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FaraDazed said:

Homework Statement

Differentiate:

[itex]v = 3t^2 - 14t + 8[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if you do anything with the "+ 8" is it ignored where differentiating?

if its ignored then the answer is:

[itex]a = \frac{dv}{dt} = 6t - 12[/itex]

Oh, it is not. It's 6t-14. Isn't it? Is that just a typo?

Dick said:
Oh, it is not. It's 6t-14. Isn't it? Is that just a typo?

Yeah my bad, it was supposed to be 14.

So is the +8 ignored then, if so, why?

FaraDazed said:
Yeah my bad, it was supposed to be 14.

So is the +8 ignored then, if so, why?

It's not ignored, it's just that the derivative of a constant (8 in this case) is zero.

Think about it in the physical context. The derivative of velocity with respect to time is acceleration. Acceleration measures the rate of change of velocity, so velocity has to vary for there to be a non-zero acceleration. The terms that are dependent on t are varying, so they affect the acceleration. But the '+8' is just a constant add-on velocity. Since this doesn't change, it does not affect the acceleration. So it's correct that the term vanishes when you differentiate.

Thanks for explaining, it makes sense now.

Can you just confirm if I am doing a major *** up please?

a > v > s

to get from v to a you differentiate, and to get from v to s you integrate?

i.e. to go left you differentiate and to go right you integrate?

FaraDazed said:
a > v > s

to get from v to a you differentiate, and to get from v to s you integrate?

i.e. to go left you differentiate and to go right you integrate?
Yes.

1. What is differentiation of a velocity function?

Differentiation of a velocity function is the process of finding the derivative of the function, which represents the instantaneous rate of change of velocity at any given point. It is commonly used to analyze the motion of objects in physics.

2. How is the velocity function different from the position function?

The velocity function represents the rate of change of position over time, while the position function represents the actual position of an object at a given time. In other words, the velocity function is the derivative of the position function.

3. What is the significance of the slope of a velocity function?

The slope of a velocity function at a specific point represents the velocity of an object at that point. A positive slope indicates a positive velocity, meaning the object is moving in the positive direction, while a negative slope indicates a negative velocity, meaning the object is moving in the negative direction.

4. How is the acceleration function related to the velocity function?

The acceleration function is the derivative of the velocity function. This means that the acceleration at a specific point is equal to the rate of change of velocity at that point. It is also the second derivative of the position function.

5. What is the relationship between the area under a velocity function and displacement?

The area under a velocity function represents the displacement of an object over a given time interval. This is because the area is equal to the distance traveled, and the displacement is the shortest distance from the initial position to the final position of the object.