1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation [ (7x^3+4)^(1/x) ] / Integration [ x^x(1+ln(x)) ]

1. Apr 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Differentiate the following expression leaving in the simplest form:
    [tex]\left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} [/tex]

Integrate the following leaving in the simplest form:
    [tex]x^x \left( {1 + \ln x} \right)[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
    Here is my worked solution for the differentiation problem:

[tex]\[
    \begin{array}{l}
    \frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {\left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} } \right] \\
    y = \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} \\
    \ln y = \left( {\frac{1}{x}} \right)\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right) \\
    = \frac{{\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)}}{x} \\
    \frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)} \right] = \frac{1}{{7x^3 + 4}}.\frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {7x^3 + 4} \right] \\
    = \frac{{21x^2 }}{{7x^3 + 4}} \\
    \frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {\frac{{\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)}}{x}} \right] = \frac{{x\left( {\frac{{21x^2 }}{{7x^3 + 4}}} \right) + 1\left( {\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)} \right)}}{{x^2 }} \\
    = \frac{{21x^3 + \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)}}{{x^2 }} \\
    \\
    \frac{1}{y} = \\
    y' = y.\frac{{21x^3 + \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)}}{{x^2 \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)}} \\
    = \frac{{\left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} \left( {21x^3 + \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)} \right)}}{{x^2 \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)}} \\
    = \frac{{\left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)^{\frac{1}{x} - 1} \left( {21x^3 + \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)} \right)}}{{x^2 }} \\
    \end{array}
    \]
    [/tex]

For the integration problem I am not quite certain on how to integrate the expression given. I know from previous experience that the expression x^x when differentiated will give x^x(1+ln(x)).

many thanks for all suggestions and help
    unique_pavadrin

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For the integration, my first thought was to make a substitution like u= xx. Of course, to do that I would need a derivative for xx. Find the derivative of xx and think you will realize that the integral is surprizingly easy.

4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    I got this result, with a small difference:

(4 + 7*x^3)**(-1 + 1/x)*(21*x^3 - (4+7*x^3)*Log(4 + 7*x^3)))/x^2

The mistake appeared probably in the 7th line of your calculation.
    You probably forgot the minus sign from the rule:

(a/b)' = (a'b-ab')/b²

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  5. Apr 20, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Since from previous experience you know the integral is x^x, and x^x happens to appear in that integrand, the easiest way out will always be the substitution which gives the whole integrand! Same goes for any integral like that.

6. Apr 20, 2007 #5
    thank you for the reply and thank you lalbatros for point out my stupid mistake

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?