1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation and dot product

1. Nov 26, 2005 #1
    Can someone help me with the following question. I've been having trouble with problems of this kind for a while now.

Q. If the path u(t) (u is a vector) is differentiable at least three times, simplify:

[tex]
    \frac{d}{{dt}}\left[ {\left( {u' \times u''} \right) \bullet \left( {u' - u} \right)} \right]
    [/tex]

I can't remember the properties of the dot product but I know that the dot product is an inner product. So I will start by using the distributivity of the inner product.

[tex]\frac{d}{{dt}}\left[ {\left( {u' \times u''} \right) \bullet \left( {u' - u} \right)} \right][/tex]

[tex]
    = \frac{d}{{dt}}\left[ {\left( {u' \times u''} \right) \bullet u' - \left( {u' \times u''} \right) \bullet u} \right]
    [/tex]

It's not much but it's all I've got at the moment. The cross product will produce a single vector so there probably isn't much that I can do with it. Each of the two expressions inside the square bracket are scalars (scalar functions of t is probably the more accurate description) so I can probably continue as follows.

[tex]
    = \frac{d}{{dt}}\left[ {\left( {u' \times u''} \right) \bullet u'} \right] - \frac{d}{{dt}}\left[ {\left( {u' \times u''} \right) \bullet u} \right]
    [/tex]

Ok well I'm really stuck here. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why not just go ahead and do it?
    I wouldn't even bother to distribute it like you did. Just use the product rule:
    [tex]((u'Xu")\dot(u'- u))'= (u'Xu")'\dot(u'- u)+(u'Xu")\dot(u'- u)'[/tex]
    [tex]= (u"Xu"+ u'X u"')\dot(u'- u)+ (u'Xu")\dot(u"- u')[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  4. Nov 26, 2005 #3
    I can't see the Latex that you appear to have included in your reply. What I've got is the dot product of a cross product and the difference of two vectors. I don't see how the product rule can be used on the initial expression. Can you please explain further?

Edit: On second thought. The expression might just be the normal product(like 3 * 5 = 15). In that case I'd be able to this question. However I'd like to know if there is anything that can be done if the product is in fact a dot product rather than just the normal multiplication.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  5. Nov 27, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The usual "product rule" applies to dot product and cross product of vectors also: (u.v)'= u'.v+ u.v', (uxv)'= u'xv+ uxv'.

Sorry the Latex didn't work. I'm not sure what's wrong.

6. Nov 28, 2005 #5
    Ok thanks a lot for the help HallsofIvy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?