Differentiation Question - Chain Rule

In summary, the chain rule and the product rule can be used to solve this equation. However, there is a shorter way to do it that is easier to differentiate.
BioBabe91

Homework Statement

Differentiate y = [tex]\left(\frac{x+2}{\sqrt[3]{x}}\right)[/tex]3

Homework Equations

-Chain Rule
-Quotient Rule
-Power Rule
-Product Rule?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I got rid of the fraction by taking the negative of x^3, and then used the chain rule to differentiate. However, it just got very complicated, and I can't solve it because it's way too complicated. Is there a short way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
BioBabe91 said:
First I got rid of the fraction by taking the negative of x^3, and then used the chain rule to differentiate. However, it just got very complicated, and I can't solve it because it's way too complicated. Is there a short way to do this?

What do you mean by you took the negative of x3?

Show what you did but most likely there isn't a shorter way to do it.

You can get rid of the fraction by writing the x^(1/3) in the denominator as x^(-1/3) in the numerator.

Then, to differentiate, you'll need to use the
chain rule and then the product rule, in that order.

I did what Mark44 said, then I used the chain rule and the product rule. This is how I did it:
differentiation.jpg

But what do I do next? Do I have to do all the multiplication to bring everything under a single denominator? Because I don't seem to be getting the right answer that way... did I do everything right?
The answer should be [tex]\frac{\left(1+\sqrt{x}\right)^{2}\left(\sqrt{x}-2\left)}{x^{3}}[/tex]

Last edited:
BioBabe91 said:
I did what Mark44 said, then I used the chain rule and the product rule. This is how I did it:
differentiation.jpg

But what do I do next? Do I have to do all the multiplication to bring everything under a single denominator? Because I don't seem to be getting the right answer that way... did I do everything right?
The answer should be [tex]\frac{\left(1+\sqrt{x}\right)^{2}\left(\sqrt{x}-2\left)}{x^{3}}[/tex]

The 3rd line is the derivative you want, and you can stop there. Anything else you do after that is algebraic manipulation. I should point out in this line that you need a pair of parentheses surrounding everything after the dot, and the same is true for the two lines after that.

You have a mistake in the 4th line where you cancel 3s, and this is related in a way to the lack of parentheses around the terms following the dot.

Are you sure that the answer you show as the right one goes with this problem? Are you sure that you worked the same problem? I don't see any connection between your "correct" answer and this problem.

wait... yes, sorry. i did copy the wrong one. so the answer for this one is [tex]\frac{2\left(x+2\right)^{2}\left(x-1\left)}{x^{2}}[/tex]. But I'm still not getting the answer...

Last edited:
BioBabe91 said:

Homework Statement

Differentiate y = [tex]\left(\frac{x+2}{\sqrt[3]{x}}\right)[/tex]3

Homework Equations

-Chain Rule
-Quotient Rule
-Power Rule
-Product Rule?

The Attempt at a Solution

Yes there is a shorter way to do this. You can write it as

[tex] \frac{(x+2)^3}{(\sqrt[3]{x})^3} [/tex]

and notice that that leaves you with

[tex] \frac{(x+2)^3}{x} [/tex]

which is considerably easier to differentiate.

That definitely worked! Thanks :)

What is the chain rule in differentiation?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used in calculus to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

How do you use the chain rule to differentiate a function?

To use the chain rule, you first identify the inner and outer functions. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This will give you the derivative of the composite function.

What is the purpose of the chain rule?

The chain rule allows us to find the derivative of complex functions that are composed of multiple functions. It is an essential tool in calculus and is used to solve many real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Can the chain rule be applied to any function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any function, as long as it is a composite function. This means that the function is made up of two or more functions nested inside each other.

Are there any special cases or exceptions to the chain rule?

Yes, there are some special cases where the chain rule may not apply, such as when the inner function is not differentiable or when the outer function is a constant. In these cases, alternative methods may need to be used to find the derivative.