What is the Differentiation Rule for an Oven Temperature Function?

He should clarify that in the future.In summary, the conversation involved discussing the representation of temperature in an oven using the equation f(t) = 400t+70/t+1, where t represents time in minutes and f(t) represents the temperature in Fahrenheit. The quotient rule was used to find the derivative, 330/(t+1)^2 = f'(t), and this was used to find the rate of change in temperature after 2 and 10 minutes, which were found to be 36.67 F degrees per minute and 2.73 F degrees per minute, respectively. However, there was a discrepancy in the values obtained for f'(t) when using
cowgiljl
f(t) = 400t+70/t+1 represents the temp. in an oven and f(t) is in F degrees

first i used the quotient rule and got 330/(t+1)^2 = f'(t)

A) the rate of change in temp of the ove with respect to the time of 2 minutes after turnig the oven on and at 10 minutes

i pluged 2 and 10 in for t in the equation above

330/(2+1)^2 = = 36.67 F degrees per min

330/(10+1)^2 == 2.73 F degrees per min

B) fined the rate of change of temp when the oven is 350 degrees

i plugged in 350 where f(t) is

and got t = 5 min

thanks joe

Physics news on Phys.org
cowgiljl said:
f(t) = 400t+70/t+1 represents the temp. in an oven and f(t) is in F degrees

first i used the quotient rule and got 330/(t+1)^2 = f'(t)

Hmm. That's odd. I get a different answer for [tex]f'(t)[/tex]. You might want to check your work. (Even if I use [tex]f(t)=400t + \frac{70}{t+1}[/tex] rather than [tex]f(t)=400t + \frac{70}{t} + 1[/tex].)

For part B:
[tex]f(5)=400 \times 5 + \frac{70}{5} + 1=2000+12+1=2013[/tex]
So, clearly t=5 is not the correct time.

I guess he was saying f(t)=(400t+70)/(t+1)

What is the differentiation rule?

The differentiation rule is a mathematical formula used to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is also known as the derivative of a function.

What is the purpose of the differentiation rule?

The purpose of the differentiation rule is to calculate the slope or gradient of a curve at a specific point. It helps us understand the behavior of a function and its rate of change.

How do you use the differentiation rule?

To use the differentiation rule, you need to first find the derivative of the function using the appropriate formula. Then, substitute the value of the point at which you want to find the slope into the derivative. The resulting value is the slope at that point.

What are the different types of differentiation rules?

There are several types of differentiation rules, including the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. Each rule is used for different types of functions and involves different formulas.

Why is the differentiation rule important in science?

The differentiation rule is important in science because it allows us to understand the behavior of various phenomena and calculate their rates of change. It is used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to analyze and model real-world problems and make predictions.