How Does the Integral of exp(-x^2*k+i*m*x) Behave as m Increases?

• Thread starter ersanjaynp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of integrating the function exp(-x^2*k+i*m*x) for defined limits, and the solution given by Mathcad in the form of a complex error function. It also mentions the Riemann-lebesgue lemma, which states that the integral of a smooth function multiplied by a cosine term tends to zero as the frequency of the cosine term increases.
ersanjaynp
[tex]\int ^{5}_{0} \left cos(m*x)e^{- \frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}} \right dx[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can first the integrand as:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^{mix-\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}}+e^{-imx-\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}}), i=\sqrt{-1}[/tex]
Complete the squares in the exponents to proceed a bit further.

arildno said:
Well, you can first the integrand as:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^{mix-\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}}+e^{-imx-\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}}), i=\sqrt{-1}[/tex]
Complete the squares in the exponents to proceed a bit further.

how to integrate the first part only i.e. exp(-x^2*k+i*m*x) for some defined limits, say 0 to b. Mathcad goves solution in the form of complex error function that is difficult to define as erfi (m) when m is large can't be defined (infinite)..but the function has zero values at higher m...

Last edited:
ersanjaynp said:
how to integrate the first part only i.e. exp(-x^2*k+i*m*x) for some defined limits, say 0 to b. Mathcad goves solution in the form of complex error function that is difficult to define as erfi (m) when m is large can't be defined (infinite)..but the function has zero values at higher m...

The primitive function of exp{-x^2} is not elementary, therefore cannot be expressed in simpler terms than the error function which is numerically approximated.

As for the values of the integral as m tends to large numbers, this is an instance of the Riemann-lebesgue lemma, which generally says that for any smooth function f(t) the integral [tex]\int_{interval}cos(wt)f(t)dt[/tex] will tend to zero as w tends to infinity

1. What is difficult integration?

Difficult integration refers to the process of finding an antiderivative or integral of a function that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. This type of integration typically requires advanced techniques and can be challenging to solve.

2. Why is difficult integration important?

Difficult integration is important because it allows us to solve complex problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us understand the behavior of functions and their relationships with each other.

3. What are some common techniques for solving difficult integrals?

Some common techniques for solving difficult integrals include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. Other methods such as numerical integration and series approximations can also be used in certain cases.

4. Are there any limitations to solving difficult integrals?

Yes, there are limitations to solving difficult integrals. Some integrals are considered unsolvable or can only be approximated. In addition, solving certain integrals may require complex and time-consuming calculations, making them impractical for practical use.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving difficult integrals?

To improve your skills in solving difficult integrals, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic integration techniques and to practice solving a variety of problems. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with different types of functions and their properties can also help in tackling difficult integrals.