Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficulty in understanding the notation

1. Nov 21, 2014 #1
    We have this stationary metric, $$ds^2 = e^{2U}(dt+\omega_idx^i)^2 -e^{-2U}dx^2$$

The book wrote down the spin connections of this:

$$ \omega^{0i}=\partial_ie^{U}e^0 +e^{3U}\partial_{[_i\omega _k]}e^k $$
    and $$ \omega^{ij}= e^{3U}(\partial_{[_i\omega _j]}e^0-\partial_{[_ie^{-2U}\delta_j]k} )$$
    it is this $$ \partial_{[_i\omega _j]}$$ that I didn't understand along with the $$\partial_{[_ie^{-2U}\delta_j]k}$$ . If we unwrapped these, what do we get? I am only having problem with the notation.

Note please that the book mentioned that $$\partial_{[_i\omega _j]}= - \frac{1}{2} \epsilon _{ijk}\partial_kb$$ where I have no idea what he meant by b. The first time I saw this b was in this note.

{I can attach the page of the book if needed (if my writings here are not clear as upper indices or lower ones).}

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think...probably attach the page of the book.

4. Nov 22, 2014 #3
    Yes of course. Here it is. @Matterwave

Attached Files:

5. Nov 22, 2014 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh...I see what is happening lol. Your latex made the omega's subscripts and made the notation much more confusing! The bracket notation means the "anti-symmetric part". So, say I have a tensor ##T_{ij}## then ##T_{[ij]}=\frac{1}{2}(T_{ij}-T_{ji})## (some references might have the 1/2 there as a normalization factor, while others might not, check which convention is being used by your book). With more indices, you just have to be alternate signs, a + sign will appear for terms which are even permutations of the indices, and a - sign will appear for odd permutations. That's basically all there is to it. If I have a rank two co-variant tensor which is the outer product of two one-forms, then the notation just looks a little weird, but it means the same thing:

$$A_{[i}\omega_{j]}=\frac{1}{2}(A_i\omega_j-A_j\omega_i)$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook