Digesting Pollens: Can We Benefit from Supplements?

• Thread starter Suraj M
  • Start date
In summary, the person is saying that pollens grains are used as food supplements, but the sporopollenin is practically indigestible, so how are these pollens grains digested in our intestines? Are they processed before consumption?
Suraj M
Gold Member
They say that Pollen grains are used as food supplements.
But the sporopollenin is practically indigestible. So then how are these pollens grains digested in our intestines?
Are they processed before consumption?

Biology news on Phys.org
Suraj M said:
They say that Pollen grains are used as food supplements.

Who says?

I meant there are food supplements of pollen grains
It's there in our textbooks and in stores :-)

Last edited:
Huh. I had no idea. :biggrin:

At least in the US, most dietary supplements are basically unregulated:
  • Federal law does not require dietary supplements to be proven safe to FDA's satisfaction before they are marketed.
  • For most claims made in the labeling of dietary supplements, the law does not require the manufacturer or seller to prove to FDA's satisfaction that the claim is accurate or truthful before it appears on the product.
(http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm050803.htm)

So, just because some people use it as a dietary supplement does not mean that it is actually doing anything.

I don't know if that was suppose to answer my question.
We were taught that pollens are highly nutritious and hence used as supplements.

I can barely find anything on google, as I have to wade through a million webpages extolling the virtues of bee pollen as a miraculous superfood. Which makes me seriously suspect about any benefits of pollen. Can I ask what textbook(s) you are using?

It's by the NCERT- it's the book by the central board of education for the whole country
+ modules my tutorials give

If you physically rupture pollen grains, then, yes, there are human digestible nutrients inside. For example, extensive chewing, a blender, or some cooking methods can do this more or less efficiently. I'm not in any way recommending the stuff.

In fact, there are a lot of small insects and other arthropods that feed only on pollen. The whole topic of being hard/easy to digest is called bioavailability, which you can read about now that you have the search term. This is a really interesting topic, BTW. Bioavailability of some nutrients changes with ageing in humans. Old guys like me secrete less stomach acid than young people. A plant with tiny lithocysts of calcium, say eaten raw, provides less calcium per unit volume for old folks versus young folks. There is less acid in the gut to help break down the lithocysts. And there is a disparity between the amount of calcium required in the diet, versus what your body actually needs and uses. I'm too lazy to get a reference with good numbers, but, the recommended daily value for calcium in the US diet is greater than the calcium actively untilized - for all ages. Because of bioavailbility.

Pollen is remarkably resistant. Palynology is based on the fact that the enzymes to break down pollen walls are not ubiquitous in nature. For example, lake bottoms have lovely, pretty much yearly varves made of pollen and sediment. These persist for very long periods of time. Fossil pollen from them is very important for getting information on local climate at the time of the deposition of the pollen.

Pollen and spores (the forerunners of modern Angiosperm pollen) can be old, as in Silurian age. See the picture of Silurian plant spores (modern plants were not around then).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palynology

Last edited:
Oh okay thanks a lot [emoji1]
So indigestible but not impossible to get through the exile. Okay [emoji4]

1. What is the purpose of digesting pollens?

The purpose of digesting pollens is to break down the pollen particles into smaller molecules that can be easily absorbed by the body. This allows the body to access the nutrients and benefits of pollens more efficiently.

2. Can we benefit from supplements that contain digested pollens?

Yes, supplements that contain digested pollens can provide various health benefits. These supplements are often rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other beneficial compounds found in pollens. They can help improve the immune system, reduce inflammation, and provide energy and nutritional support.

3. Are there any risks associated with digesting pollens through supplements?

While supplements containing digested pollens are generally safe for consumption, some individuals may experience allergic reactions or sensitivities to certain pollens. It is always recommended to consult with a healthcare professional before taking any new supplement, especially if you have known allergies.

4. How are pollens digested in supplements?

Pollens are often digested using enzymes in a laboratory setting to break down the tough outer shell of the pollen grains. This allows for easier absorption and utilization of the nutrients in the pollen. The resulting pollen extract is then used in supplements.

5. Can everyone benefit from supplements containing digested pollens?

While supplements containing digested pollens can provide various health benefits, they may not be suitable for everyone. Pregnant or breastfeeding women, individuals with certain medical conditions, and those taking certain medications should consult with a healthcare professional before taking these supplements.