Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights Digital Camera Buyer's Guide: Compact Point and Shoot - Comments

1. Sep 25, 2016 #1

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2016 #2
  4. Sep 28, 2016 #3

Grinkle

Gold Member

<snip>
    I’ve never owned a camera (besides what is in my cell phone and laptop). I want to take pictures at parties and post them online or email them to my friends.

A: a compact point and shoot camera is likely the best option

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/digital-camera-buyers-guide-compact-point-shoot/
    <snip>

No quarrel with the technical aspects of the article. IMO, the use case for a compact P&S is greatly diminished for the very-casual image snapper who owns a smartphone and cares as much or more about work-flow of publishing pictures than about image quality. I would advise the hypothetical author of the opening question to stick with their smartphone. For better or for worse, every party I go to involves some amount of everyone admiring party pictures on social media of the party while the party is till going on. Sigh. I do it too. It sounds atrociously narcissistic to me when I force myself to say it 'out loud', but its what goes on. Anyway, you can't do that with a digital P&S, at least not easily.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted