Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights Digital Camera Buyer's Guide: Real Cameras - Comments

1. Sep 30, 2016 #1

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

question:

I've never heard of crop factor before but I don't follow that math at all. Can you expand on what this means / how it works?

Thanks

4. Sep 30, 2016 #3

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Diagonal of standard 35mm sensor (36mm x 24mm) is approx 43mm, so crop factor 1.6 means sensor diagonal about 43mm/1.6 which is about 27mm diagonal.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

5. Sep 30, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah. Got it. Thank you. I do think that the assumption that this is immediately understandable is a bit of a stretch since the article (which is very good) is for beginners so @Andy Resnick, would a beginner be expected to know that 35mm => 35x24 ?

6. Sep 30, 2016 #5

olivermsun

Science Advisor

36x24, and probably not, but it isn't so important to know these exact dimensions as long as you realize that's what people are using as the reference when they say a certain camera/lens has an equivalent zoom range of 28-200 mm or whatever. They mean the field of view covers the same range as a 28-200 mm lens would on a traditional 35 mm format camera.

7. Oct 4, 2016 #6
    Now we need a smartphone camera buy guide. Google just came out with the Pixel. Supposed to be most advanced smartphone camera.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted