Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights New High Performance Ultra-wide Angle Lenses - Comments

1. Mar 19, 2017 #1

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2017 #2
    Andy, curious if you have ideas on where lens technology goes from here?

4. Mar 23, 2017 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

nice write-up, Andy, thanks :)

my goto UW angle lens is my Samyang 14mm, f2.8

upload_2017-3-24_12-27-35.png

I have been quite pleased with it's quality considering its affordable ~ AU$360 price tag
    particularly on wide angle astrophotography where pinpoint light sources from stars gives a good test

5. Mar 24, 2017 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Good question- although predicting the future is a fool's errand :) In general the trend is to larger apertures, reduced size/weight, decreased chromatic aberrations, and improved accutance. All of this is contingent on developments in optical materials- mainly glass- and the ability to grind aspheres. Incorporation of image stabilization is increasing as well. These developments all fall under "improved performance of existing lens designs".

Something more 'exotic' I'm interested in is 3-D PSF engineering. That is, rather than simply design improved performance in the focal plane, the entire PSF can be designed- at least that's what is claimed for the new Nikkor 58/1.4. It's an interesting idea.

6. Apr 26, 2017 #5
    I take it this article is only about cameras with 35 mm size sensors? Lenses with 180° already exist on devices that pair two of them to image 360° video.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ricoh-t...ffcode=pg174715&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

7. Apr 27, 2017 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I didn't mean to implicitly discuss only 35mm-sized sensors; there are ultra-wide lenses for medium and large format sizes as well (the Super Angulon and Grandagon series of lenses, for example).

The Theta S and similar cameras (KeyMission 360, for example) use multiple sensors, and I also distinguished between fisheye lenses that have large distortion from rectilinear lenses, which do not. I focused on the development of new rectilinear ultrawide lenses.

8. Apr 28, 2017 #7
    Given that lens distortion can now be removed digitally, I wonder if it is better to do that then to use extra glass to make likes straight optically?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted