Digital Capacitance meter using microcontrollers

In summary, the speaker is attempting to make a digital capacitance meter using a HSC08 microcontroller chip, but is struggling due to lack of pre-requisites. They are trying to measure the number of signals over a 7.5 second period using a 555 timer connected to the IRQ pin of the chip. They understand that they need an interrupt service subroutine to count the signals, but are unsure how to control the count timing. They have been attempting to use a delay subroutine to set the IRQSC register for counting. The solution proposed is to use two interrupts, one to count signals and one to trigger the 7.5 second timer, which would then calculate the capacitance and reset the counter.
virdip
Hey friends, I am trying to make a digital capacitance meter by using a HSC08 microcontroller chip (MC9S08QG8). Unfortunately this is one of those courses where one doesn't know anything because of lack of pre-requisites. Anyhow (enough complaining) what I have been trying to do is the following:
Connect the 555 timer to the IRQ pin of the chip. The 555 timer circuit has the unknown Capacitor attached to it. Now I am trying to measure the number of signals over a 7.5s period. I understand that I need an interrupt service subroutine to count the number of signals for this duration. However I am not sure how to control the count timing. I have been trying to use a delay subroutine such that the IRQSC register is set for counting in cycle of that delay.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
virdip said:
Hey friends, I am trying to make a digital capacitance meter by using a HSC08 microcontroller chip (MC9S08QG8). Unfortunately this is one of those courses where one doesn't know anything because of lack of pre-requisites. Anyhow (enough complaining) what I have been trying to do is the following:
Connect the 555 timer to the IRQ pin of the chip. The 555 timer circuit has the unknown Capacitor attached to it. Now I am trying to measure the number of signals over a 7.5s period. I understand that I need an interrupt service subroutine to count the number of signals for this duration. However I am not sure how to control the count timing. I have been trying to use a delay subroutine such that the IRQSC register is set for counting in cycle of that delay.

You can use one interrupt to just bump a counter variable (the pulse count) and return. Use a second interrupt to trigger on the expiration of the 7.5 second timer. That ISR disables the IO counter ISR, calculates the capacitance for display or whatever, zeroes out the IO counter variable, and re-enables the IO ISR.

I applaud your efforts to create a digital capacitance meter using microcontrollers. It shows a great curiosity and determination to learn new skills. However, I would recommend doing some research on the basics of microcontrollers and electronic circuits before diving into a project like this. It will not only make the project easier, but also give you a better understanding of the concepts involved.

In terms of your current approach, using a 555 timer and IRQ pin is a good start. However, I would suggest looking into other methods of measuring capacitance, such as using a frequency counter or a charge/discharge circuit. These may provide more accurate and reliable results.

Additionally, as you mentioned, setting a precise timing for the count is crucial. I would recommend using a timer interrupt instead of a delay subroutine, as it will provide more accurate and consistent results. You can also use the microcontroller's internal clock to control the timing of the count.

Overall, I encourage you to continue learning and experimenting with microcontrollers and electronic circuits. It may take some trial and error, but with persistence and the right resources, you can successfully create a digital capacitance meter. Good luck!

1. What is a digital capacitance meter and how does it work?

A digital capacitance meter is a device used to measure the capacitance of an electronic component. It works by applying a known voltage to the component and measuring the resulting charge stored on the component. This charge is then converted into a digital value and displayed on the meter.

2. How is a microcontroller used in a digital capacitance meter?

A microcontroller is the brain of a digital capacitance meter. It is responsible for controlling the measurement process, converting the analog signal into digital values, and displaying the results on a screen. It also allows for additional features such as auto-ranging and data logging.

3. What are the advantages of using a microcontroller in a capacitance meter?

Using a microcontroller in a capacitance meter offers several advantages. Firstly, it allows for a more accurate and precise measurement due to its ability to perform calculations and corrections. It also allows for a smaller and more compact design, making the meter portable. Additionally, a microcontroller allows for more advanced features to be implemented, such as auto-ranging and data logging.

4. Are there any limitations to using a digital capacitance meter with a microcontroller?

Like any electronic device, a digital capacitance meter with a microcontroller may have limitations. One limitation could be the range of capacitance values it can measure. Another limitation could be the accuracy of the measurement, which can be affected by factors such as noise and temperature. It is important to choose a meter with the appropriate specifications for your needs.

5. Can a digital capacitance meter with a microcontroller be used for all types of capacitors?

Most digital capacitance meters with a microcontroller can measure a wide range of capacitance values and types, including ceramic, film, and electrolytic capacitors. However, some specialized capacitors, such as high voltage or high-frequency capacitors, may require a specific type of meter. It is important to check the specifications of the meter to ensure it is suitable for your specific needs.