1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Digital Logic 4-bit Multiplier/Adder

1. Oct 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Build a circuit that either adds or multiplies two 4-bit numbers based on a control input C(C is 1 add, C is zero multiply). Numbers are positive and negative so use two's complement. You can use muxes, Full Adder Circuits, and logic gates

2. Relevant equations
    Multiplier circuit= upload_2016-10-10_16-2-7.png

Adder Circuit:
    upload_2016-10-10_16-10-34.png
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So, I have built both the Full Adder(for the addition part) and the multiplier. However, I dont know how to use the muxes to get the input switching if control is 0 and 1. Since the mux only has one output, I dont understand how to connect the two circuits together. Any help is much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The mux output is the final result - one bit of the addition or multiplication depending on the state of C. Where do you expect more outputs? You'll need one mux per bit (or a mux block that can handle multiple bits in parallel).

4. Apr 6, 2017 #3
    Can you please show how we can use the mux to let the user choose between adder or multiplayer ?

5. Apr 6, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

This thread is half a year old.
    The multiplexer looks like every other multiplexer - for each bit, choose either input A or input B as output, depending on a control bit. Do that for all 4 bits.

6. Apr 6, 2017 #5
    should we use 4:1 mux or 2:1 mux ?

7. Apr 6, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Addition and multiplication are 2 operations. What else do you want to put into the MUX?

8. Apr 7, 2017 #7
    only addition and multiplication.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted