1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimension of intersection of U and V

1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove true:
    For any subspaces U,V of R^n dim(U intersect V) <= min(dim(U), dim(V))

2. Relevant equations
    Min(a,b) = the minimum value of A and B

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know this statement is true however I can't quite figure out where to start on how to prove this...Help please.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2010 #2
    The best way to approach this is to think about the subspace generated by intersection(U,V)... call it W for short. The dimension refers to the size of the basis, so any vector on W will also be found on U and found on V. If you think about V being the bigger one (say size m for dim|V| and size k for dim|U|), a vector w on W will have an expression as a linear combination in the basis of V and in the basis of U. So w can be written as a combination of of m vectors on V , and k vectors on U (k<m). Since they are subspace of the same vector space, they get their basis from the same vector space. Since W is also a subspace of the larger vector space, it gets its basis from that too.

Think of it in the sense that , in order for a vector to be on the basis of W, it has to be on the basis of V and U, since U has less vectors in its basis, there is going to be at least (m-k) vectors on the basis of V that will not be on the basis of W.
  4. Feb 22, 2010 #3
    Ok you have quite a few typos in your statement so what you are trying to say at some points isn't quite clear.
  5. Feb 22, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(U intersect V) is contained in U and V. Try that.
  6. Feb 22, 2010 #5
    Well I'd say use lagrange's formula from group theory, but I'm not sure how to delineate that.
    OK say you have the original vector space X, where X has the basis {e1,e2,e3...en}
    for a subspace V of X, the basis of V is a subcollection of the basis of X , ie V has a basis {e1,e5,e7,..e(n-1)} say for a grand total of M vectors in the basis.

now consider another subspace U of X, but this one has {e1,e3,e8,...en} , we'll say K vectors, where K<M.

Now consider the basis of the intersection of U and V =W.
    If every vector in the basis of U is in W, then W has dimension k. V will have extra basis vectors that U will not have, so Dim(u,v) would be k. where k is the min (dim(U),dim(V))
    but thats assuming that every vector on the basis of U is found on the basis of V.
    So that means the dim(u,v) would be less than the min(dim(u),dim(v))
    like say X has basis {e1,e2,e3,e4,e5,e6}Dim(X)=6 and U has {e1,e4,e5} (dim U=3) and V has {e1,e3,e4,e6} dim(v)=4
    then the only vectors on the basis of W would be e1 and e3 , so it'd have dim(2)
  7. Feb 22, 2010 #6
    Thank you for editing your statement.
    I proved it using the properties of a p dimensional subspace which actually works a lot better and is simpler than what you are trying to say.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook