1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimension proof of the intersection of 3 subspaces

1. Jan 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume [itex]V = \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] where [itex]n \geq 3[/itex]. Suppose that [itex]U,W,X[/itex] are three distinct subspaces of dimension [itex]n-1[/itex]; is it true then that [itex]dim(U \cap W \cap X) = n-3[/itex]? Either give a proof, or find a counterexample.

3. The attempt at a solution

The question previous to this was showing that for subspaces [itex]U,W[/itex] of dimension [itex]n-1 \longrightarrow dim(U \cap W) = n - 2[/itex] which I was able to prove fine. Now, I'm thinking this is true, because [itex]W \cap X[/itex] will be a subspace of dimension [itex]n-2[/itex] so if we set [itex]W \cap X = Z[/itex], where [itex]Z[/itex] is a subspace we turn this problem into [itex]dim(U \cap Z)[/itex] and since all three were distinct we should have [itex]dim(U \cap Z) = n-3[/itex] but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2013 #2
    You seem to be on the right track.

4. Jan 13, 2013 #3
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook