Dimensions of physical quantities

In summary,The confusion between dimensions and units is something that has been on my mind for a while and the tutorial you linked was a great help.
Anique
Hello there,
I have a confusion between dimensions and units! All of others tell me its not unit but some use units! Please verify the following

Quantity Dimension
Length L
Mass M
Time T
Temperature Θ
Amount of subst N
Luminous intensity J
Current I

Is it right? Also please let me know if the dimension of IDEAL GAS CONSTANT is:
R = ML2T-2N-1Θ-1

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Anique,

What exactly is the confusion? A dimensions is what you measure, for example length, mass. A unit is what you measure the dimension in. E.g. units of length are metres, feet, light-years etc.
In dimensional analysis you always want the most fundamental dimensions possible, so rather than calling force a dimension, you express it in terms of more fundamental dimensions: MLT-2 (since Newton is kg*m/s^2)

Anique said:
Also please let me know if the dimension of IDEAL GAS CONSTANT is:
It's correct.

Likes Anique
Dear Bandersnatch,

Thank you very much! I saw on some places people using mol as a DIMENSION for amount and K as a DIMENSION for Temperature. That made me confused!

Thanks for your support! :)

Bandersnatch said:
What exactly is the confusion? A dimensions is what you measure, for example length, mass. A unit is what you measure the dimension in. E.g. units of length are metres, feet, light-years etc.
In dimensional analysis you always want the most fundamental dimensions possible, so rather than calling force a dimension, you express it in terms of more fundamental dimensions: MLT-2 (since Newton is kg*m/s^2)

Dear Bandersnatch,

Thank you very much! I saw on some places people using mol as a DIMENSION for amount and K as a DIMENSION for Temperature. That made me confused!

Thanks for your support! :)

Anique said:
I saw on some places people using mol as a DIMENSION for amount and K as a DIMENSION for Temperature. That made me confused!
Right, you can see it used that way sometimes.
You can also see for example "length" being called "units" of position (x). Or dimension being called quantity. The important bit is to keep it consistent across the board, so that you don't mix something like "length" and "kilograms", or "mass" and "Kelvins" in your analysis.

Sticking to unitless dimensions should be prioritised, though, as it let's you analyse whatever equation you're analysing without bothering with what particular system of units you ought to use (i.e., metric, cgs, imperial etc.).

Anyway, this is a nice tutorial on dimensional analysis:
http://vallance.chem.ox.ac.uk/pdfs/UnitsAndDimensions.pdf
Give it a read if you get confused again.

Dear Bandersnatch,

Bandersnatch said:
Anyway, this is a nice tutorial on dimensional analysis:
http://vallance.chem.ox.ac.uk/pdfs/UnitsAndDimensions.pdf
Give it a read if you get confused again.

You help rendered me great support! Especially the "Green Book" is really informative!
Many many thanks! And Hope you will help me again whenever I get stuck somewhere! :-)

Last edited:

1. What are the fundamental dimensions of physical quantities?

The fundamental dimensions of physical quantities are length, mass, time, electric current, temperature, amount of substance, and luminous intensity. These dimensions are used to describe and measure all physical quantities.

2. How do you convert units between different dimensions?

To convert units between different dimensions, you can use conversion factors or dimensional analysis. Conversion factors are ratios that relate different units of the same dimension, while dimensional analysis involves canceling out units using their fundamental dimensions.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity is a physical quantity that is described by a single value and has only magnitude, such as temperature or mass. A vector quantity is a physical quantity that is described by both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

4. How do dimensions affect physical equations?

Dimensions play a crucial role in physical equations. In order for an equation to be mathematically valid, the dimensions of each term on both sides of the equation must be the same. This is known as the principle of dimensional homogeneity.

5. Can physical quantities have more than one dimension?

Yes, physical quantities can have more than one dimension. For example, velocity has dimensions of length divided by time, indicating that it is a combination of both length and time. This is known as a derived dimension.