Diophantine equation ax-by=c has infinitely many solutions

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the diophantine equation $ax-by=c$ has infinitely many solutions with $x,y>0$, regardless of the values of $a$ and $b$. This is because for any positive integers $a$ and $b$, the equation $x=by+c$ has infinitely many integer solutions when $c$ is a constant value.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! :cool:
I am looking at the following exercise:
Let $a,b>0, (a,b)=1$.Prove that the diophantine equation $ax-by=c$ has infinitely many solutions with $x,y>0$.

As $(a,b)=1$ $\exists x_0,y_0$ such that $ax_0+by_0=1$, so $a(cx_0)-b(-cy_0)=c$.
So, $x_1=c x_0, y_1=-c y_0$ is a solution of $ax-by=c$.
But is it possible that $y_1$ is a solution?Isn't it negative?

Then,using the theorem:
Let $a,b$ not both $0$.If $d:=(a,b) \mid c$ and $a=da_1, b=db_1$ and if $x_1,y_1$ is a solution of the diophantine equation $ax+by=c$,then the solutions of $ax+by=c$ are given from $x=x_1+kb_1 , y=y_1-ka_1, k \in \mathbb{Z}$

we get : $x=cx_0+kb$ and $y=-cy_0-ka, k \in \mathbb{Z}$ but this solution does not satisfy the diophantine equation $ax-by=c$,right?
So,is something wrong?? :confused:

I saw the solution in my notes and there they take $y=-cy_0+ka$ and this satisfy the diophantine equation..But why do we take this one? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Let $a,b>0, (a,b)=1$.Prove that the diophantine equation $ax-by=c$ has infinitely many solutions with $x,y>0$.

As $(a,b)=1$ $\exists x_0,y_0$ such that $ax_0+by_0=1$, so $a(cx_0)-b(-cy_0)=c$.
So, $x_1=c x_0, y_1=-c y_0$ is a solution of $ax-by=c$.
But is it possible that $y_1$ is a solution?Isn't it negative?

Then,using the theorem:
Let $a,b$ not both $0$.If $d:=(a,b) \mid c$ and $a=da_1, b=db_1$ and if $x_1,y_1$ is a solution of the diophantine equation $ax+by=c$,then the solutions of $ax+by=c$ are given from $x=x_1+kb_1 , y=y_1-ka_1, k \in \mathbb{Z}$

we get : $x=cx_0+kb$ and $y=-cy_0-ka, k \in \mathbb{Z}$ but this solution does not satisfy the diophantine equation $ax-by=c$,right?
So,is something wrong?? :confused:

I saw the solution in my notes and there they take $y=-cy_0+ka$ and this satisfy the diophantine equation..But why do we take this one? (Thinking)

Hey! :eek:

The general solution of
$$ax+by=1, \quad (a,b)=1$$
is $x=x_0-kb, y=y_0+ka$ with $k \in \mathbb Z$.

That is the reason why they take $y=-cy_0+ka$ in the respective equation.

From there you need to figure out which ones - and how many - are actually positive...

I like Serena said:
Hey! :eek:

The general solution of
$$ax+by=1, \quad (a,b)=1$$
is $x=x_0-kb, y=y_0+ka$ with $k \in \mathbb Z$.

That is the reason why they take $y=-cy_0+ka$ in the respective equation.

From there you need to figure out which ones - and how many - are actually positive...

But,in the notes of my prof,it is $x=x_1+kb_1 \text{ and } y=y_1-ka_1$..So,is it wrong?? (Thinking)
Also,neither the solution $x=x_0-kb, y=y_0+ka$ does satisfy the diophantine equation..or am I wrong?? :confused:

evinda said:
But,in the notes of my prof,it is $x=x_1+kb_1 \text{ and } y=y_1-ka_1$..So,is it wrong?? (Thinking)

That's the same thing! (Nod)
With $k \in \mathbb Z$ we are free to replace $k$ with a $k'=-k$ which effectively swaps the signs.
Also,neither the solution $x=x_0-kb, y=y_0+ka$ does satisfy the diophantine equation..or am I wrong?? :confused:

How so?
The solution does satisfy the equation.
The problem is the additional condition that $x, y > 0$.

I like Serena said:
That's the same thing! (Nod)
With $k \in \mathbb Z$ we are free to replace $k$ with a $k'=-k$ which effectively swaps the signs.
I understand. :)
I like Serena said:
How so?
The solution does satisfy the equation.
The problem is the additional condition that $x, y > 0$.

Replacing $x=cx_0-kb, y=-cy_0+ka$ I find:
$ax-by=a(cx_0-kb)-b(-cy_0+ka)=acx_0-akb+bcy_0-bka=c-2kba$..

That is not equal to $c$.So,have I done something wrong? :confused:(Thinking)

evinda said:
I understand. :)

Good! (Yes)
Replacing $x=cx_0-kb, y=-cy_0+ka$ I find:
$ax-by=a(cx_0-kb)-b(-cy_0+ka)=acx_0-akb+bcy_0-bka=c-2kba$..

That is not equal to $c$.So,have I done something wrong? :confused:(Thinking)

That should be $x=cx_0-kb, y=-(cy_0+ka)=-cy_0-ka$...

I like Serena said:
That should be $x=cx_0-kb, y=-(cy_0+ka)=-cy_0-ka$...
But,if we take $k'=-k$,shouldn't it be $x=cx_0$-$k'b$ and $y=-cy_0$+$k'a$ ,according to the theorem? :confused:

evinda said:
But,if we take $k'=-k$,shouldn't it be $x=cx_0$-$k'b$ and $y=-cy_0$+$k'a$ ,according to the theorem? :confused:

We've been juggling plus and minus signs.
Perhaps start over from the beginning?

I like Serena said:
We've been juggling plus and minus signs.
Perhaps start over from the beginning?

We take $x=cx_0-kb, y=-cy_0+ka$ with $k \in \mathbb Z$,right?
So,we get $ax-by=a(cx_0-kb)-b(-cy_0+ka)=acx_0-kab+bcy_0-bka=c-2kab$

Or am I wrong? (Blush) :confused:

evinda said:
We take $x=cx_0-kb, y=-cy_0+ka$ with $k \in \mathbb Z$,right?
So,we get $ax-by=a(cx_0-kb)-b(-cy_0+ka)=acx_0-kab+bcy_0-bka=c-2kab$

Or am I wrong? (Blush) :confused:

I'm going a little bit more back to the beginning...

We want to solve:
$$ax-by=c, \quad (a,b)=1, \quad x,y>0 \qquad \qquad (1)$$

Now suppose the solution of:
$$ax' + by' = 1$$
is $x'=x_0-kb, y'=y_0+ka$ with $x', y', k \in \mathbb Z$.

Then we can try:
$$x = cx', y = -cy'$$
The catch is that x and y both have to be positive.

So:
$$x = c(x_0-kb), y = -c(y_0+ka)$$

Substituting in (1) gives:
$$ac(x_0-kb) - b \cdot -c(y_0+ka) = c(ax_0 + by_0) -abck + abck = c\cdot 1 = c$$Now how can we make sure we get infinite positive solutions for x and y?

evinda said:
(Thinking)
I do not see a constraint preventing either a or b from being 1. If we let a=1 then the constraints on a,b are satisfied: a,b > 0 and (a,b)=1. Then the equation can be written as x=by+c.

By the Division Algorithm (Theorem 2 in "Elementary Number Theory", 2nd Ed, Dudley) we have given positive integers a and b, b not = 0 there exist unique integers q and r, with 0<=r<b such that a = bq + r

So by the Division Algorithm we know that the equation x=by+c has an integer solution for all integer x. Since we know that there are infinitely many positive integers we thus know that the equation x=by+c has infinitely many integer solutions.

Last edited:
DavidCampen said:
I do not see a constraint preventing either a or b from being 1. If we let a=1 then the constraints on a,b are satisfied: a,b > 0 and (a,b)=1. Then the equation can be written as x=by+c.

By the Division Algorithm (Theorem 2 in "Elementary Number Theory", 2nd Ed, Dudley) we have given positive integers a and b, b not = 0 there exist unique integers q and r, with 0<=r<b such that a = bq + r

So by the Division Algorithm we know that the equation x=by+c has an integer solution for all integer x. Since we know that there are infinitely many integers we thus know that the equation x=by+c has infinitely many integer solutions.

$(a, b) = 1$ doesn't mean that either $a$ or $b$ is one, it means they are coprime. So it has to be shown to be true for any two coprime integers, not just in the case where $a$ or $b$ are one ;D

Bacterius said:
$(a, b) = 1$ doesn't mean that either $a$ or $b$ is one
(a,b)=1 means that the greatest common divisor of a and b is 1. I know that it does not _require_ that either a or b be 1 but it allows for that.

I show that when either a or b is 1 then all of the constraints are satisfied and there are infinitely many solutions. It is possible that neither a or b is 1 but still there are infinitely many solutions because I have shown that the special case where a is 1 has infinitely many solutions.

Do you mean to change the problem constraint to (a,b)>1?

1. What is a Diophantine equation?

A Diophantine equation is an algebraic equation in which only integer solutions are considered. This means that the variables in the equation can only take on whole number values.

2. How is the Diophantine equation ax-by=c related to number theory?

The Diophantine equation ax-by=c is a type of linear Diophantine equation, which is a fundamental concept in number theory. Number theory is the study of integers and their properties, and Diophantine equations are used to solve problems related to integers.

3. What does it mean for a Diophantine equation to have infinitely many solutions?

If a Diophantine equation has infinitely many solutions, it means that there are an infinite number of possible values for the variables that satisfy the equation. In other words, there are an infinite number of integer solutions to the equation.

4. What is the significance of the statement "ax-by=c has infinitely many solutions"?

This statement is significant because it shows that the equation has an infinite number of solutions, rather than a finite or limited number. This can be useful in solving certain problems or equations, and it also has implications in other areas of mathematics such as number theory and algebraic geometry.

5. Are there any conditions or restrictions for the variables in the Diophantine equation ax-by=c?

Yes, the variables a, b, and c must all be integers, and at least one of them must not be equal to 0. Additionally, the equation must be linear, meaning that the variables are raised to the first power and there are no exponents. These conditions ensure that the equation remains a Diophantine equation with integer solutions only.