1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipoles and electric field expressions

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    Okay. So my assignment is due in an hour and i'm stuck on this last question. If I can get some help, I would greatly appreciate it.

So the problem reads: The electric field of a dipole can be calculated by assuming the positive charge q is at z = a/2 and the negative charge -q is at z = -a/2 (x=y=0). The electric field along the z axis found by vector addition of the electric field from the individual charges. FInd an expression for the electric field. (Hint: 1 / (1+x)^2 ) is approximately equal to 1 - 2x for small x.) By what power of z does the electric field fall off?

Okay. So from the problem, I know that I can solve using the equation:
    |E1| = (1/4∏ε0)(q1/r^2)

but how do i associate z and r?
    I'm super confused. Please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello melissaisusi,

Welcome to physics forums!

Here are a few hints and guidance.

1. For this problem, don't bother figuring out the electric field for all space. Restrict yourself calculating the electric field to the z-axis. As a matter of fact, for the second part of this problem, the extreme positive z-axis is all that is necessary. (By that I mean you could break the problem into three parts and calculate the electric field on the positive and negative z-axis, and the portion of the z-axis in between the charges [and maybe you should do that for the first part, where you find an expression for E]. But sticking with the positive z-axis should be sufficient for the second part of this particular problem.)
    2. Since you are only concerned about the z-axis, just set r = z.
    3. And what is r (and thus z)? The distance r is the distance to the origin. But it's not the distance to the charge in this case. Every previous time you have used the
      |E1| = (1/[4πε0])(q1/r2)
      formula, the assumption was that the charge was centered at the origin. All that changes now. You need to find |E1| as a function of the distance from the charge q1. So you'll need to subtract off an a/2 somewhere from the distance to the origin.

Good luck! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook