1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac and weak convergence

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if {x_k} is any sequence of points in space [tex] R^n [/tex] with [tex] |{x_k}| \rightarrow \infty [/tex], then [tex] \delta(x-x_k) \rightarrow 0 [/tex] weakly

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm still trying to grasp the concept of weak convergence for distributions. It would appear that this function doesn't converge pointwise. The distribution on a test function is
    [tex] \int \delta(x-x_k)\theta(x)dx = \theta(x_k)[/tex] Does the function converge weakly to zero because [tex] x_k [/tex] approaches infinity, and therefore would be outside of the region of support of any locally integrable test function?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think that's correct. But what exactly is your set of test functions?

4. Dec 2, 2007 #3
    My set of test functions meet the following criteria:
    * function has a finite region of support, inside of which [tex] \theta(x) \neq 0 [/tex], outside of which [tex] \theta(x)=0 [/tex]
    * [tex] \theta(x) [/tex] has derivatives of all orders.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  5. Dec 2, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you are right. Finite support is enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?