1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy sequences and absolutely convergent series

1. Oct 18, 2014 #1

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to prove that if X is a normed space, the following statements are equivalent.

(a) Every Cauchy sequence in X is convergent.
    (b) Every absolutely convergent series in X is convergent.

I'm having difficulties with the implication (b) ⇒ (a).

2. Relevant equations

Only some standard definitions.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no problems with the implication (a) ⇒ (b). I'm including the proof only because it can perhaps provide some inspiration for the proof of the converse.

(a) ⇒(b): Let ##\sum_{k=1}^\infty x_k## be an arbitrary absolutely convergent series in X. For each ##n\in\mathbb Z^+##, define ##s_n=\sum_{k=1}^n x_k## and ##t_n=\sum_{k=1}^n \|x_k\|##. The desired result follows from
    $$\|s_n-s_m\|=\left\|\sum_{k=m+1}^n x_k\right\| \leq\sum_{k=m+1}^n\|x_k\| =|t_n-t_m|.$$ The argument is simple: ##(t_n)## is convergent and therefore Cauchy. This and the inequality above together imply that ##(s_n)## is Cauchy. Now (a) implies that ##(s_n)## is convergent.

Here's the part I'm struggling with:

(b) ⇒ (a): Let ##(s_n)## be an arbitrary Cauchy sequence in X. I'm using the notation ##s_n## rather than ##x_n## because I'm going to define a sequence ##(x_n)## such that ##(s_n)## is its sequence of partial sums. We define ##x_1=s_1## and for each ##n\geq 2##, ##x_n=s_n-s_{n-1}##. We have
    $$\sum_{k=1}^n x_k =(s_n-s_{n-1})+(s_{n-1}-s_{n-2})+\cdots+(s_2-s_1)+s_1 =s_n.$$ If we can show that ##\sum_{k=1}^\infty x_k## is absolutely convergent, we're done. Unfortunately that doesn't look possible. I think we have to continue something like this: For each ##k\in\mathbb Z^+##, let ##n_k## be a positive integer such that
    $$i,j\geq n_k\ \Rightarrow\ \|s_i-s_j\|<2^{-k}.$$ Let ##k\in\mathbb Z^+## be arbitrary. Define ##m_k=n_k+1##. We have
    $$\|x_{m_k}\|=\|s_{m_k}-s_{m_k-1}\|=\|s_{n_k+1}-s_{n_k}\|<2^{-k}.$$ Does this help at all? It tells us that ##\sum_{k=1}^\infty x_{m_k}## is absolutely convergent, and therefore convergent. But how does knowing that ##\sum_{k=1}^\infty x_{m_k}## is convergent help us? It means that the sequence ##\big(\sum_{k=1}^p x_{m_k}\big)_{p=1}^\infty## is convergent, but this isn't a subsequence of ##(s_n)##. ##(s_{m_p})_{p=1}^\infty## is a subsequence of ##(s_n)##, but I don't see why it would be convergent.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2014 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's a proof here:

https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~thomases/201A_F10_hw3_sol.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Oct 18, 2014 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. I understand it now. I need to write ##\|s_{n_{k+1}}-s_{n_k}\|<2^{-k}## instead of ##\|s_{n_k+1}-s_{n_k}\|<2^{-k}##. I tried that earlier, but somehow I convinced myself that if I do this, the sum fails to telescope.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted