1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weakly convergent sequences are bounded

1. Mar 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I would like to show that a weakly convergent sequence is necessarily bounded.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I would like to conclude that if I consider a sequence [itex]{Jx_k}[/itex] in [itex]X''[/itex]. Then for each [itex]x'[/itex] in [itex]X'[/itex] we have that [itex]\sup|Jx_k(x')|[/itex] over all [itex]k[/itex] is finite. I am not sure why this is the case since
    [itex]\sup|Jx_k(x')|=\sup|x'(x_k)|\leq\sup||x'||||x_k||[/itex] and [itex]\sup||x_k||[/itex] over all [itex]k[/itex] does not seem finite.

From here I would be able to make my conclusion by applying the uniform boundedness principle or the Banach-Steinhaus Theorem.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't really understand your notation.

Shouldn't you just look at various functionals applied to your sequence - since each of these will converge, you get pointwise boundedness. But then apply Hahn-Banach to find a functional that attains the norm of your sequence at a specific point. So...

4. Mar 30, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your comments. I was able to resolve my issue with this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook