1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac Delta Potential

1. Oct 22, 2006 #1
    Question:
    Consider the motion of a particle of mass m in a 1D potential [itex] V(x) = \lambda \delta (x)[/itex]. For [itex]\lambda > 0[/itex] (repulsive potential), obtain the reflection R and transmission T coefficients.

[Hint] Integrate the Schordinger equation from [itex]-\eta[/itex] to [itex]\eta[/itex] i.e.
    [tex]\Psi^{'}(x=\epsilon )-\Psi^{'}(x=-\epsilon )=\frac{2m}{\hbar^{2}}\lambda\int^{\epsilon}_{-\epsilon}\delta (x)\Psi (x)dx = \frac{2m}{\hbar^{2}}\lambda\Psi (x > 0)[/tex]

What I have so far:
    Inside the barrier, the wave function is:

[tex]\psi (x)= Ae^{\kappa x}+Be^{-\kappa x}[/tex]

where:

[tex]\kappa = \sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^{2}}\left(V-E\right)} [/tex]

Outside we have wave function in the form of:

[tex]\psi (x) = Ce^{ikx}+De^{-ikx} x < 0[/tex]
    [tex]\psi (x) = Ee^{ikx} x > a[/tex]

and [itex]R = \frac{|D|^2}{|C|^2} [/itex] and [itex]T = \frac{|E|^2}{|C|^2}[/itex].

I have in my notes how to get the ratio [itex]\frac{D}{C}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{E}{C}[/itex], but how does the hint that was given to me used for? where does the delta function come in play?

I don't really get the hint itself either. How does integrating Schrodinger Equation give me that relation in the hint? I am very lost...:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2006 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no "inside the barrier," since a delta function is a width-zero barrier.

1) Write down Schrodinger's equation.

2) Integrate it term-by-term over the interval [itex](-\epsilon, \epsilon)[/itex].

3) Take the limit as [itex]\epsilon \rightarrow 0[/itex].

Assume [itex]\psi[/itex] is continuous at [itex]x = 0[/itex]. This gives you a relationship between the three coefficients.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?