Dirac notation for conjugacy class

In summary, the RHS of the conjugate relationship Ad(g)x = gxg-1 from the Lie algebra is equivalent to <g|λ|g> in the Dirac notation of quantum mechanics. This is based on the adjoint representation of SU(3), where g is a unitary 3x3 matrix with determinant one. The gluon representation of SU(3) is an 8-dimensional one and can be constructed using the 8-, 3-, and 3*-representations. The product of λ with a column vector gives another column vector, which is then multiplied by the complex conjugate matrix to form the tensor product 3 ⊗ 3bar, decomposing into the 1 ⊕ 8
nigelscott
Is the RHS of the conjugate relationship

Ad(g)x = gxg-1

from the Lie algebra equivalent to:

<g|λ|g>

In the Dirac notation of quantum mechanics?

I am looking at this in the context of gluons where g is a 3 x 1 basis matrix consisting of components r,g,b, g-1 is a 1 x 3 matrix consisting of components r*,g*,b* and λ is anyone of the 8 Gell-Mann matrices.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please provide a reference to where your notation is taken from and define x.

g is not a 3x1 matrix. It is an element of the Lie group. The representation is the adjoint representation, which is a representation of a Lie group on its Lie algebra. In the case of SU(3), g is therefore a unitary 3x3 matrix with determinant one.

Edit: Note that the gluon representation of SU(3) is an 8-dimensional one (the adjoint representation of SU(N) is N^2-1-dimensional). The corresponding colour combinations are the traceless colour-anticolour combinations.

OK. I think I may be confusing things.

\[ \left(\begin{pmatrix} r* & g* & b* \end{pmatrix}λi\begin{pmatrix} r \\ g \\ b \end{pmatrix}\right)\]

appears to produce the QM superposition states for the gluons. if g has to be a 3 x 3 invertible matrix then this has to be the bra-ket interpretation. Correct?

Last edited:
No, this does not have to do with the braket notation. It has to do with how you can construct an SU(3) singlet from an 8-, a 3-, and a 3*-representation.

nigelscott said:
OK. I think I may be confusing things.

\begin{pmatrix} r* & g* & b* \end{pmatrix}λi\begin{pmatrix} r \\ g \\ b \end{pmatrix}

appears to produce the QM superposition states for the gluons. if g has to be a 3 x 3 invertible matrix then this has to be the bra-ket interpretation. Correct?

OK. Sorry about the formatting in the previous response. I think I get it now. The product of λ with a column vector gives another column vector. This column vector gets multiplied by the complex conjugate matrix which can be written as a column or row vector. Either way this operation is the tensor product 3 ⊗ 3bar which decomposes into the 1 ⊕ 8. Correct?

1. What is Dirac notation for conjugacy class?

Dirac notation for conjugacy class is a mathematical notation used in quantum physics to represent the symmetry properties of particles. It is named after physicist Paul Dirac and is commonly used in the study of group theory.

2. How is Dirac notation for conjugacy class used in quantum physics?

In quantum physics, Dirac notation for conjugacy class is used to describe the symmetries of particles and their interactions. It allows for the identification and classification of particles based on their symmetries, which is essential for understanding their behavior and properties.

3. Can you provide an example of Dirac notation for conjugacy class?

One example of Dirac notation for conjugacy class is the use of the letter "C" followed by a subscript to represent a specific symmetry group or class. For instance, C1 represents the identity class, while Cn represents a rotation by 360/n degrees around an axis.

4. How does Dirac notation for conjugacy class relate to group theory?

Dirac notation for conjugacy class is closely related to group theory, as it is used to describe the symmetries of particles, which can be represented by mathematical groups. The notation helps to classify the different classes of symmetries and understand their properties and relationships.

5. What are the benefits of using Dirac notation for conjugacy class?

Dirac notation for conjugacy class is a concise and efficient way to represent the symmetries of particles. It allows for easy identification and classification of particles, which is crucial in understanding their physical properties and predicting their behavior. Additionally, it is a universal notation that is widely used in quantum physics, making it easier for scientists to communicate and collaborate on research.