Proving the Oddness of 3n-2 Using Direct Proof

In summary: I still think you've copied down the question wrong, because n=0 is the only integer for which this holds.Its "Let nεZ, Prove that if 1-n^2>0, then 3n-2 is an even integer" That's all it give me and yes 0 is the only integer that satifies 1-n^2>0. But my question is that how can this be considered a direct proof when you have to assume that n represents some arbitrary value in the domain or is this not always the case?Its "Let nεZ, Prove that if 1-n^2>0, then
halo31

Homework Statement

im supposed to use a direct proof to prove that if 1-n^2>0 then 3n-2 is odd for all n∈Z

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if you let n∈z then suppose that 1-n^2>0 then 1>n^2 but the only inter n such that 1>n^2 is 0. 3x0-2=-2 as -2=2(-1), -2 is even . Hence if 1-n^2>0 then 3n-2 is even when n∈z. The part that I am confused on is why in the book does it say for directs proofs to choose an arbitrary value for n and prove that Q(X) is true? In this proof I had to prove it the same way but there was no way I could let N represent an arbitrary value. The only value that worked was when n=0.

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement you're trying to prove does not make sense. You're saying you have the prove this:
[itex]1-n^2>0 \Rightarrow 3n-2[/itex] is odd, for ALL [itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex].

What about n=0? Then 1-n^2=1>0, so the left side is satisfied. If this were true, then you would have that 3n-2=-2 is odd. But it isn't.

Moreover, if you're talking about integers, then the only integer which satisfies your left side inequality is n=0, which we've just shown doesn't even work.

In conclusion... this statement is just wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

my bad not for all nεZ just that n is an element of Z

halo31 said:
my bad not for all nεZ just that n is an element of Z

Please copy out the question directly from your textbook, with all the punctuation. I still think you've copied down the question wrong, because n=0 is the only integer for which this holds.

Its "Let nεZ, Prove that if 1-n^2>0, then 3n-2 is an even integer" That's all it give me and yes 0 is the only integer that satifies 1-n^2>0. But my question is that how can this be considered a direct proof when you have to assume that n represents some arbitrary value in the domain or is this not always the case?

halo31 said:
Its "Let nεZ, Prove that if 1-n^2>0, then 3n-2 is an even integer" That's all it give me and yes 0 is the only integer that satifies 1-n^2>0. But my question is that how can this be considered a direct proof when you have to assume that n represents some arbitrary value in the domain or is this not always the case?

It's a bit awkward, but you can prove it directly...

Direct proof:

Claim 1: n=0 satisfies the inequality.
Proof: this is trivial.
Claim 2: n=0 is the only integer which satisfies that inequality.
Proof: Since [itex]n^2>0[/itex] for all [itex]n\neq 0[/itex], we need only consider positive integers. Then for any n>0, we have [itex]n^2\geq 1[/itex], so [itex]1-n^2\leq 0[/itex]. Hence, n=0 is the only integer which satisfies the inequality.
Claim 3: n=0 satisfies "3n-2 is even"
Proof: Trivial.

This is a direct proof because at no point along the way did I assume a "false" hypothesis in order to come to a contradiction. It may seem as though Claim 2 was done by contradiction, but it wasn't. I am claiming for all [itex]n\neq 0[/itex], we do NOT have [itex]1-n^2>0[/itex], equivalently, we DO have [itex]1-n^2\geq 0[/itex].

Last edited:
dont you mean for the last part of claim 2 to be 1-n^2≥0?

halo31 said:
dont you mean for the last part of claim 2 to be 1-n^2≥0?

Do you mean the claim, or the proof of the claim? In either case, no, I do not. I'm attempting to prove that for all nonzero integers, the inequality 1-n^2>0 does NOT hold. What does it mean for an inequality to NOT hold? It means that the opposite inequality DOES hold. That is, 1-n^2≤0 holds.

The crucial point is that the only integer for which "1- n^2> 0" is n= 0.

If n= 1 or -1, what is 1- n^2? If n= 2 or -2, what is 1- n^2? If n= 3, or -3, ...

Personally, I would have started this proof with "If n is an integer such that 1- n^2> 0, then n= 0. Therefore, 3n-2= ...

Well I reread the section in the book on direct proofs and I happen to gloss otver the part when it said
'''in order to prove for all x in the domain of S'', and I assumed you needed to let any variable such as x,n etc to represent an arbritrary value in the given domain. Now I know that I need to pay attn. to what values in the domain satisfy the hypothesis.

What is direct proof confusion?

Direct proof confusion is a common misconception in scientific reasoning where individuals assume that a correlation between two variables implies a direct cause-and-effect relationship.

Why is direct proof confusion problematic?

Direct proof confusion can lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder scientific progress. It can also result in false assumptions and misleading interpretations of data.

How can direct proof confusion be avoided?

To avoid direct proof confusion, scientists must always consider other factors and variables that may be influencing the relationship between two variables. It is important to conduct controlled experiments and analyze data carefully to draw accurate conclusions.

What are some examples of direct proof confusion?

An example of direct proof confusion would be assuming that eating a lot of chocolate directly causes weight gain, without considering other factors such as overall diet and exercise habits.

Another example would be assuming that taking a certain vitamin supplement directly leads to improved cognitive function, without considering other factors such as genetics and lifestyle.

How does direct proof confusion differ from causation?

Direct proof confusion assumes causation based solely on correlation, while causation requires a thorough understanding of the underlying mechanisms and factors that contribute to a relationship between two variables.