1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct proof confusion?

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    im supposed to use a direct proof to prove that if 1-n^2>0 then 3n-2 is odd for all n∈Z

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    if you let n∈z then suppose that 1-n^2>0 then 1>n^2 but the only inter n such that 1>n^2 is 0. 3x0-2=-2 as -2=2(-1), -2 is even . Hence if 1-n^2>0 then 3n-2 is even when n∈z. The part that im confused on is why in the book does it say for directs proofs to choose an arbitrary value for n and prove that Q(X) is true? In this proof I had to prove it the same way but there was no way I could let N represent an arbitrary value. The only value that worked was when n=0.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2
    The statement you're trying to prove does not make sense. You're saying you have the prove this:
    [itex]1-n^2>0 \Rightarrow 3n-2[/itex] is odd, for ALL [itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex].

What about n=0? Then 1-n^2=1>0, so the left side is satisfied. If this were true, then you would have that 3n-2=-2 is odd. But it isn't.

Moreover, if you're talking about integers, then the only integer which satisfies your left side inequality is n=0, which we've just shown doesn't even work.

In conclusion... this statement is just wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3
    my bad not for all nεZ just that n is an element of Z

5. Sep 6, 2012 #4
    Please copy out the question directly from your textbook, with all the punctuation. I still think you've copied down the question wrong, because n=0 is the only integer for which this holds.

6. Sep 6, 2012 #5
    Its "Let nεZ, Prove that if 1-n^2>0, then 3n-2 is an even integer" That's all it give me and yes 0 is the only integer that satifies 1-n^2>0. But my question is that how can this be considered a direct proof when you have to assume that n represents some arbitrary value in the domain or is this not always the case?

7. Sep 6, 2012 #6
    It's a bit awkward, but you can prove it directly...

Direct proof:

Claim 1: n=0 satisfies the inequality.
    Proof: this is trivial.
    Claim 2: n=0 is the only integer which satisfies that inequality.
    Proof: Since [itex]n^2>0[/itex] for all [itex]n\neq 0[/itex], we need only consider positive integers. Then for any n>0, we have [itex]n^2\geq 1[/itex], so [itex]1-n^2\leq 0[/itex]. Hence, n=0 is the only integer which satisfies the inequality.
    Claim 3: n=0 satisfies "3n-2 is even"
    Proof: Trivial.

This is a direct proof because at no point along the way did I assume a "false" hypothesis in order to come to a contradiction. It may seem as though Claim 2 was done by contradiction, but it wasn't. I am claiming for all [itex]n\neq 0[/itex], we do NOT have [itex]1-n^2>0[/itex], equivalently, we DO have [itex]1-n^2\geq 0[/itex].

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  8. Sep 6, 2012 #7
    dont you mean for the last part of claim 2 to be 1-n^2≥0?

9. Sep 7, 2012 #8
    Do you mean the claim, or the proof of the claim? In either case, no, I do not. I'm attempting to prove that for all nonzero integers, the inequality 1-n^2>0 does NOT hold. What does it mean for an inequality to NOT hold? It means that the opposite inequality DOES hold. That is, 1-n^2≤0 holds.

10. Sep 7, 2012 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The crucial point is that the only integer for which "1- n^2> 0" is n= 0.

If n= 1 or -1, what is 1- n^2? If n= 2 or -2, what is 1- n^2? If n= 3, or -3, ...

Personally, I would have started this proof with "If n is an integer such that 1- n^2> 0, then n= 0. Therefore, 3n-2= ....

11. Sep 7, 2012 #10
    Well I reread the section in the book on direct proofs and I happen to gloss otver the part when it said
    '''in order to prove for all x in the domain of S'', and I assumed you needed to let any variable such as x,n etc to represent an arbritrary value in the given domain. Now I know that I need to pay attn. to what values in the domain satisfy the hypothesis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook