Direct Sum Property: Proving Uniqueness

In summary, the sum of a set of subspaces is direct iff there is at least one v in the set such that v=v_1+\cdots+v_k where v_i is in the i'th subspace.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

I encountered this question and thought about it several hours. I am writing down my answer. I would greatly appreciate if somebody could find a fault in my answer or else confirm it is correct. :)

Problem:

Let \(V_1,\,\cdots,\,V_k\) be subspaces in a vector space \(V\), \(V=V_1+\cdots+V_k\). Show that the sum is direct iff there is at least one \(v\in V\) such that \(v=v_1+\cdots+v_k\) where \(v_i\in V_i\), in a unique way.

My Solution:

If \(V=V_1\oplus \cdots \oplus V_k\) then by the definition of the direct product each \(v\in V\) can be uniquely written as \(v=v_1+\cdots+v_k \) where \(v_i\in V_i\). So the forward implication is clearly true.

Now let us prove the reverse direction. There exist and element \(v\in V\) such that \(v=v_1+\cdots+v_k\) where \(v_i\in V_i\), in a unique way. Suppose that the sum is not a direct sum. Then there exist at least one element \(x\in V\) such that \(x\) has two different representations,

\[x=x_1+\cdots+x_k\mbox{ and }x=x'_1+\cdots+x'_k\]

where \(x_i,\,x'_i\in V_i\). Now there exist some \(v_0\in V\) such that, \(v=x+v_0\). Hence,

\[v=x_1+\cdots+x_k+v_0\mbox{ and }v=x'_1+\cdots+x'_k+v_0\]

Now since we can write \(v_0=v_1^0+\cdots+v_k^0\), we get,

\[v=(x_1+v^0_1)+\cdots+(x_k+v^0_k)\mbox{ and }v=(x'_1+v^0_1)+\cdots+(x'_k+v^0_k)\]

Note that, \(x_i+v_i^0\in V_i\) and \(x'_i+v_i^0\in V_i\).

But since \(v\) has a unique representation \(v=v_1+\cdots+v_k\) we have,

\[v_1=x_1+v^0_1=x'_1+v^0_1\]

\[v_2=x_2+v^0_2=x'_2+v^0_2\]

and generally,

\[v_i=x_i+v^0_i=x'_i+v^0_i\]

Therefore,

\[x_i=x'_i\mbox{ for all }i\]

Therefore we arrive at a contradiction. The sum must be direct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
Hi everyone, :)

I encountered this question and thought about it several hours. I am writing down my answer. I would greatly appreciate if somebody could find a fault in my answer or else confirm it is correct. :)

Problem:

Let \(V_1,\,\cdots,\,V_k\) be subspaces in a vector space \(V\), \(V=V_1+\cdots+V_k\). Show that the sum is direct iff there is at least one \(v\in V\) such that \(v=v_1+\cdots+v_k\) where \(v_i\in V_i\), in a unique way.

My Solution:

If \(V=V_1\oplus \cdots \oplus V_k\) then by the definition of the direct product each \(v\in V\) can be uniquely written as \(v=v_1+\cdots+v_k \) where \(v_i\in V_i\). So the forward implication is clearly true.

Now let us prove the reverse direction. There exist and element \(v\in V\) such that \(v=v_1+\cdots+v_k\) where \(v_i\in V_i\), in a unique way. Suppose that the sum is not a direct sum. Then there exist at least one element \(x\in V\) such that \(x\) has two different representations,

\[x=x_1+\cdots+x_k\mbox{ and }x=x'_1+\cdots+x'_k\]

where \(x_i,\,x'_i\in V_i\). Now there exist some \(v_0\in V\) such that, \(v=x+v_0\). Hence,

\[v=x_1+\cdots+x_k+v_0\mbox{ and }v=x'_1+\cdots+x'_k+v_0\]

Now since we can write \(v_0=v_1^0+\cdots+v_k^0\), we get,

\[v=(x_1+v^0_1)+\cdots+(x_k+v^0_k)\mbox{ and }v=(x'_1+v^0_1)+\cdots+(x'_k+v^0_k)\]

Note that, \(x_i+v_i^0\in V_i\) and \(x'_i+v_i^0\in V_i\).

But since \(v\) has a unique representation \(v=v_1+\cdots+v_k\) we have,

\[v_1=x_1+v^0_1=x'_1+v^0_1\]

\[v_2=x_2+v^0_1=x'_2+v^0_1\]

and generally,

\[v_i=x_i+v^0_1=x'_i+v^0_1\]
A typo here. It should be $v_i=x_i+v^0_i=x'_i+v^0_i$
The rest is correct.

caffeinemachine said:
A typo here. It should be $v_i=x_i+v^0_i=x'_i+v^0_i$
The rest is correct.

Yeah, I was typing it too fast, didn't check much for typos. I have edited it in the original post. :) Thank you very much for the confirmation and pointing out the typo. I really appreciate it. I am confident that this and the several other questions I posted recently are correct, but just want to get the opinion of everybody. I have a exam coming up and these are from a sample test. :)

1. What is the direct sum property?

The direct sum property is a mathematical concept that states that if two subspaces have no vectors in common, then their direct sum is equal to the vector space containing both subspaces. In other words, the direct sum property states that the sum of two subspaces is unique if they have no vectors in common.

2. How is the direct sum property used in mathematics?

The direct sum property is used in various areas of mathematics, including linear algebra, abstract algebra, and functional analysis. It is a fundamental concept in understanding vector spaces and their properties.

3. How do you prove uniqueness using the direct sum property?

To prove uniqueness using the direct sum property, you must show that the sum of two subspaces is equal to the vector space containing both subspaces, and that the subspaces have no vectors in common. This can be done by using the definition of the direct sum and showing that it satisfies the properties of a vector space.

4. What are some applications of the direct sum property?

The direct sum property has many applications in mathematics, including in the study of vector spaces, linear transformations, and matrix operations. It is also used in areas such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. Can the direct sum property be extended to more than two subspaces?

Yes, the direct sum property can be extended to more than two subspaces. In general, the direct sum of n subspaces is defined as the vector space containing all possible combinations of vectors from each subspace without any overlap. This concept is known as the direct sum decomposition.