1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of angular acceleration

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Imagine a car driving on the XY plane in the +y-direction. If it is slowing down, in what direction is the angular acceleration of the wheels?

(a) the +x-direction
    (b) the -x-direction
    (c) the +y-direction
    (d) the -y-direction
    (e) the +z-direction

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am just really lost when it comes to this problem. The apparent answer is A, but I do not understand why. I can't conceptualize angular acceleration with the axes..

The solution says the wheels have an angular velocity in the -x-direction and thus since the angular velocity is decreased the acceleration would be in the +x-direction. I get the second step, but I don't understand how you determine the angular velocity is in the -x-direction
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2008 #2
    Actually, I think I get it now after messing around with some pictures..still, I think this was a stupid and poorly phrased problem.
  4. Feb 7, 2008 #3
    think it as applying a force to stop the wheels....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?