Phase Change and Reflection of Electromagnetic Waves

In summary: Therefore, the reflected wave is E = -E0icos (kz + ωt). However, this is incorrect. Upon working through the problem in its entirety, we get the solution E = E0icos (kz + ωt), which matches option B without the minus sign. It is possible that the question setter made some simplified assumptions that led to the incorrect solution, but the correct answer is E = E0icos (kz + ωt) without any minus sign. This may be due to a misunderstanding of electromagnetic boundary conditions or the Fresnel reflection coefficient. Overall, it is important to carefully consider all factors and assumptions when solving problems in order to arrive at the correct solution.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

mcq3.png

Note : There are no minus signs in first two options .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The wave is propagating in +z direction whereas the electric field is varying in x direction . On reflection , there is a phase change of π . Also wave starts traveling in -z direction .As a consequence (kz - ωt) becomes (kz + ωt) .

So reflected wave is E = - E0icos (kz + ωt)

But this is wrong .

Attachments

• mcq3.png
    mcq3.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,232
Physics news on Phys.org
Working the problem in its entirety, ## \\ ## ## E_{incident}(a,t)=E_o \hat{i} \cos(ka-\omega t) ## .## \\ ## ## E_{reflected}(a,t)=-E_{incident}(a,t) ##, and ## \\ ## ## E_{reflected}(z,t)=E_{reflected} (a,t-\frac{|z-a|}{c} ) ##, (in the region ## z<a ## ) . ## \\ ## I think this gives ## E_{reflected}(z,t)=-E_o \hat{i} \cos(2ka-\omega t-kz) ## once you work through the algebra. ## \\ ## Note: It's normally against the PF rules to supply a complete solution to a homework question, but this one is really rather subtle, and it would be difficult to lead the OP to the solution, without actually showing the solution. ## \\ ## Anyway, that's the solution that I computed.

Last edited:
Likes RedDelicious, Jahnavi and Delta2
I believe the OP's solution is correct.

rude man said:
I believe the OP's solution is correct.
@rude man Please study my solution in detail, and I think you will see where the OP misses what is basically a ## -2ka ## term that needs to be included in the OP's solution. ## \\ ## Editing: I specialized in Optics (Diffraction and Interference theory, etc.) and Spectroscopy as a graduate student in college, so that it would be somewhat embarrassing if I didn't have it correct. :)

Last edited:
The correct answer given is E = E0icos (kz + ωt) i.e option B) .

There is no minus sign .

Charles , this question is from chapter "EM wave" of 12th grade High school book . Do you think the question setter is using some simplified assumptions so that the factor of -2ka is missing ?

Even then , I am getting a minus sign whereas answer given has no minus sign .

Jahnavi said:

There is no minus sign .

Charles , this question is from chapter "EM wave" of 12th grade High school book . Do you think the question setter is using some simplified assumptions so that the factor of -2ka is missing ?

IMO, the author of the book probably has limited expertise in Optics and Interference and Diffraction theory. It isn't real surprising that he might have an incorrect answer for such a problem. Unless a physics person actually specializes in this kind of thing, it would be quite easy for them to get an incorrect result for the solution. If they thought the problem was identical to a water wave bouncing off a wall, then ## E_{reflected}(a,t)=E_{incident}(a,t) ##. In addition, it would be easy for someone who doesn't specialize in this type of thing to miss the ## -2 k a ## phase term that results when the barrier is not at ## z=0 ##. I give them credit for what I think was an honest mistake or two in their solution. ## \\ ## As for the minus sign out in front, there are two ways to explain it: There is an electromagnetic boundary condition that ## E_{air \, total}(a,t)=E_{incident}(a,t)+E_{reflected}(a,t)=E_{transmitted}(a,t) =0 ##, so that ## E_{reflected}(a,t)=-E_{incident}(a,t) ##. For an alternate derivation, the Fresnel reflection coefficient ## \rho=(n1-n2)/(n1+n2) ##. For a metal, ## n2 ## has a very large complex term to it,(and ## n1=1 ##) , so that ## \rho=-1 ## (or very nearly so), where ## \rho=\frac{E_{reflected}(a,t)}{E_{incident}(a,t)} ##.

Likes Jahnavi
I also think option B is correct (without the minus sign). You saying that on reflection there is a phase change of pi. I just disagree with that, there is no phase change with reflection.

Jahnavi said:

There is no minus sign .

You have not included phase shift pi in your calculation

The minus sign is equivalent to a phase change of ## \pi ##: ## \cos(\omega t+\pi)=-\cos(\omega t) ##.

Charles Link said:
The minus sign is equivalent to a phase change of ## \pi ##: ## \cos(\omega t+\pi)=-\cos(\omega t) ##.
Minus is here for change in direction of electric field after reflection

I could add one additional input: If they were an r-f (radio frequency) engineer, they might call a perfectly reflecting wall one that had infinite impedance. In that case, the reflected wave does not experience this ## \pi ## phase change (i.e. there is no minus sign), but they still missed the ## -2ka ## phase term. ## \\ ## Note: Basically the index of refraction ## n ## for an optics person gets replaced by ##1/Z ## in these formulas for an r-f engineer, where ## Z ## is the characteristic impedance of the medium. A material (the wall) with very high ## Z ## has a reflection without any phase change or inversion of the amplitude. ## \\ ## In any case, I took the statement of the problem to be that the wall consisted of a highly reflective mirror. The terminology "optically inactive" is somewhat unclear. ## \\ ## Editing: Additional note on the above: I googled this just to verify, and the google confirmed that, in general, you won't encounter an impedance ## Z ## that is greater than the ## Z ## of free space, so that except for exceptional cases, you will find any time you have a high reflectivity of a transverse electromagnetic wave off of a reflector in free space, you will get the minus sign or ## \pi ## phase change. Alternatively, for a reflection of a transverse r-f wave in a coaxial cable that occurs off of a termination that is of a high impedance, you will get a reflection without the minus sign or phase change.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Ok Charles and Kumar (and Rudeman) you might be right regarding the phase change of ##\pi## but I think in high school physics, reflection (of any wave, whether its mechanical or EM) is being taught as just changing the direction of propagation of wave, not the phase of the wave.

Delta² said:
Ok Charles and Kumar (and Rudeman) you might be right regarding the phase change of ##\pi## but I think in high school physics, reflection (of any wave, whether its mechanical or EM) is being taught as just changing the direction of propagation of wave, not the phase of the wave.
The direction of the wave is determined by the relative sign between the ## kz ## term and the ## \omega t ## term. If they are different, the wave travels in the positive z direction (to the right), e.g. (## \cos(kz-\omega t) ##). If they are the same, the wave travels to the left (e.g. ## \cos( kz+\omega t) ##).

Likes Jahnavi
Delta² said:

Change of phase is not an issue in this problem :smile:

There is definitely a change of phase of π since the reflection is from an optically inactive surface . I am assuming this to be optically denser medium . Right @Charles Link ?

And since the wave is traveling in opposite direction , (kz-wt) changes to (kz+wt) . Taking both of these in consideration , I am getting an extra minus sign which the given answer doesn't have .

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
@rude man Please study my solution in detail, and I think you will see where the OP misses what is basically a ## -2ka ## term that needs to be included in the OP's solution. ## \\ ## Editing: I specialized in Optics (Diffraction and Interference theory, etc.) and Spectroscopy as a graduate student in college, so that it would be somewhat embarrassing if I didn't have it correct. :)
Agreed! I missed the part about reflection at z=a .

The only possibility was Er = -E0cos(ωt + kz) but this doesn't work either because cos(ωt - ka) - cos(wt + ka) ≠ 0 for every ka (wavelength) as required.

The given choices seem to have been meant for a=0.

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
Jahnavi said:
Change of phase is not an issue in this problem :smile:

There is definitely a change of phase of π since the reflection is from an optically inactive surface . I am assuming this to be optically denser medium . Right @Charles Link .

And since the wave is traveling in opposite direction , (kz-wt) changes to (kz+wt) . Taking both of these in consideration , I am getting an extra minus sign which answer doesn't have .
Posts 6 and 11 are the best explanation I can offer for what I think is definitely an incorrect answer that the author provides. :)

What is the difference between my answer E = - E0icos (kz + ωt) and the book answer E = E0icos (kz + ωt) ?

What difference does a minus sign make ?

Jahnavi said:
What is the difference between my answer E = - E0icos (kz + ωt) and book answer E = E0icos (kz + ωt) ?

The minus sign will essentially change the phase of the reflected wave by ## \pi ## (## =180^o ##), because ## -\cos(kz+\omega t)=\cos(kz+\omega t + \pi) ## . (Use ## \cos(\theta+\phi)=\cos(\theta) \cos(\phi)-\sin(\theta) \sin(\phi) ## identity to show this). The minus sign is correct, if the reflective material is assumed to be of a higher index ## n ##.

Likes Jahnavi
Ok.

I am attaching the solution given in the book . In case you feel there is a printing error in the options then you will be in for a surprise :smile: .

Please see if you can understand it .

The confusing part is changing of i to -i in the reflected wave .

Last edited:
Jahnavi said:
Ok.

I am attaching the solution given in the book . In case you feel there is a printing error in the options then you will be in for a surprise :smile: .

It is apparent that the author of the book is not an expert on this topic. It's always very helpful when the book teaches it correctly=this kind of inaccuracies can have a lot of students spinning their wheels unnecessarily. At least the Physics Forums is available that can most often supply the correct result when such a thing is encountered. :)

Likes ehild, rude man, Jahnavi and 1 other person
Charles ,

Since there is already confusion , I would like to clarify what does i denote ? I think it just specifies the direction in which electric field is oscillating ( x-axis in this case ) . Right ?

Does -i make any sense ?

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
Jahnavi said:
Ok.

Same thing i have mentioned in post 8 and 10.direction of electric and magnetic field will also reverse.

Jahnavi said:
What is the difference between my answer E = - E0icos (kz + ωt) and the book answer E = E0icos (kz + ωt) ?

The reflected wave has a - sign because when you ADD Ei and Er the - sign is needed. Superposition is addition so to get cancellation at z=a you need the - sign, otherwise you'd get double instead of zero at z=a.

rude man said:
The reflected wave has a - sign because when you ADD Ei and Er the - sign is needed. Superposition is addition so to get cancellation at z=a you need the - sign, otherwise you'd get double instead of zero at z=a.

But presence of minus sign in reflected wave doesn't mean complete cancellation.

E0cos (kz - ωt) - E0cos (kz + ωt) ≠ 0

Jahnavi said:
But presence of minus sign in reflected wave doesn't mean complete cancellation.

You have to consider at the instant of reflection.it will cancel out

Abhishek kumar said:
You have to consider at the instant of reflection.it will cancel out

At z = a , E0cos (ka- ωt) - E0cos (ka + ωt) = 2E0sin(ka)sin(ωt) ≠ 0

Can you show how they cancel ?

Jahnavi said:
At z = a , E0cos (ka- ωt) - E0cos (ka + ωt) = 2E0sin(ka)sin(ωt) ≠ 0

Can you show how they cancel ?
You are only considering position not time.when incident wave traveled a unit reflected wave just started

Abhishek kumar said:
You are only considering position not time.when incident wave traveled a unit reflected wave just started

Isn't "t" same in the two wave expressions ?

Aren't we considering the same instant ?

Jahnavi said:

Yes, the incident wave and reflected wave add up to zero at the interface at any instant. t is the same in both waves.

Likes Jahnavi
Likes Charles Link
Jahnavi said:

Read standing wave form by super position of reflected and incident wave

Jahnavi said:

They completely cancel at z=0, if reflection happens at z=0. If it happens at z=a you need the phase term ##2ka## as Charles says at post #2.

Likes Charles Link and Abhishek kumar
Delta² said:
They completely cancel at z=0, if reflection happens at z=0. If it happens at z=a you need the phase term ##2ka## as Charles says at post #2.
That's what i want to say

Abhishek kumar said:
Abhishek kumar said:
That's what i want to say

This is not what you said in post 27 :smile:

Jahnavi said:
This is not what you said in post 27 :smile:
You have taken same distance traveled by both the wave at any instant of time is it possible?that's why i said you r considering only same position.For same time position will be different

<h2>1. What is a phase change in the context of electromagnetic waves?</h2><p>A phase change in electromagnetic waves refers to the change in the relative position of the crests and troughs of the wave. This can occur when the wave travels from one medium to another, such as from air to water, and experiences a change in its speed. Phase changes can also occur when the wave reflects off a surface.</p><h2>2. How does the phase change affect the behavior of electromagnetic waves?</h2><p>The phase change can affect the behavior of electromagnetic waves in several ways. For example, when a wave reflects off a surface, the phase change can cause interference patterns to form, resulting in constructive or destructive interference. In addition, phase changes can also affect the polarization of the wave, which is the direction in which the electric field oscillates.</p><h2>3. What is the relationship between phase change and frequency of electromagnetic waves?</h2><p>The relationship between phase change and frequency of electromagnetic waves is that they are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, the phase change decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation &#955; = c/f, where &#955; is the wavelength, c is the speed of light, and f is the frequency.</p><h2>4. How does the angle of incidence affect the phase change of reflected electromagnetic waves?</h2><p>The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which a wave hits a surface, can affect the phase change of reflected electromagnetic waves. When the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, the phase change is zero and the wave is said to be in phase. However, when the angle of incidence is different from the angle of reflection, the phase change will occur and the wave will be out of phase.</p><h2>5. Can the phase change of electromagnetic waves be controlled?</h2><p>Yes, the phase change of electromagnetic waves can be controlled through various means. One way is by using materials with different refractive indices, which can cause a phase change when the wave travels through them. Another way is by using devices such as phase shifters, which can adjust the phase of a wave. This control over phase change is important in many applications, such as in telecommunications and imaging technologies.</p>

1. What is a phase change in the context of electromagnetic waves?

A phase change in electromagnetic waves refers to the change in the relative position of the crests and troughs of the wave. This can occur when the wave travels from one medium to another, such as from air to water, and experiences a change in its speed. Phase changes can also occur when the wave reflects off a surface.

2. How does the phase change affect the behavior of electromagnetic waves?

The phase change can affect the behavior of electromagnetic waves in several ways. For example, when a wave reflects off a surface, the phase change can cause interference patterns to form, resulting in constructive or destructive interference. In addition, phase changes can also affect the polarization of the wave, which is the direction in which the electric field oscillates.

3. What is the relationship between phase change and frequency of electromagnetic waves?

The relationship between phase change and frequency of electromagnetic waves is that they are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, the phase change decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation λ = c/f, where λ is the wavelength, c is the speed of light, and f is the frequency.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the phase change of reflected electromagnetic waves?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which a wave hits a surface, can affect the phase change of reflected electromagnetic waves. When the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, the phase change is zero and the wave is said to be in phase. However, when the angle of incidence is different from the angle of reflection, the phase change will occur and the wave will be out of phase.

5. Can the phase change of electromagnetic waves be controlled?

Yes, the phase change of electromagnetic waves can be controlled through various means. One way is by using materials with different refractive indices, which can cause a phase change when the wave travels through them. Another way is by using devices such as phase shifters, which can adjust the phase of a wave. This control over phase change is important in many applications, such as in telecommunications and imaging technologies.