1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of friciton in bicycyle

1. Jul 8, 2013 #1
    I found that direction of friction on ball rolling to east is towards east. And I Know direction of friction in moving bicycle when it is not paddled is backward on both rear and front wheels. Aren't they contradictory??

Plz help me.....

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2013 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So why does a ball always stop rolling after a while?

4. Jul 8, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What if the ball rolls to the west? What direction is friction then? Are you absolutely certain of your original finding?

5. Jul 8, 2013 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to be very careful when looking at the arrows on such diagrams. The acid test is always to think what you would expect to happen as a result of your choice about direction. You have to be right about the difference between front and back wheels. :wink:

6. Jul 8, 2013 #5

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I assume you mean "rolling resistance" (not friction), which opposes the direction that an object is rolling towards. Wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_resistance

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook