1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of rotation of moment

1. Sep 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    for the 400cos45 force , i think it should rotate anticlockwise, am i right? but the book gave it is rotated counterclockwise...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uhh... "anticlockwise" and "counterclockwise" both mean the same thing, you know, "not clockwise".

RIP, Yogi Berra :cry:

4. Sep 23, 2015 #3
    Typo, imo it should be in counterclockwise, right? The book gave it in clockwise direction..

5. Sep 23, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope, guess again.

The moment sign convention adopted by the book is a little unconventional. I prefer the right hand rule, which would make CCW moments positive.
    The actual convention chosen doesn't matter, as long as you remain consistent throughout your calculations.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  6. Sep 23, 2015 #5
    I'm wondering is my direction of 400cos 45 force correct ? Should it point to the left ?

7. Sep 23, 2015 #6

Attached Files:

• hg.png
      hg.png
      File size:
      50.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Sep 23, 2015 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is correct.

9. Sep 23, 2015 #8
    then the moment should be anticlockwise , right ? by using right hand rule . I bent my finger from f to F , since it's r cross F

10. Sep 23, 2015 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The moment you showed in Post #6 is indeed CCW.

11. Sep 23, 2015 #10
    Ok, then the book is wrong...

12. Sep 23, 2015 #11

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, the moment shown in the book is properly CW.

The figure you drew in Post #6 does not match the layout of forces shown in the book, and the direction of that moment is CCW.

You can't change the position of the force relative to the axis of rotation without changing the direction of the moment which is produced.

13. Sep 23, 2015 #12
    I m confused now. Then can you show mew the r x f diagram in the book? I have no idea at all.

14. Sep 23, 2015 #13

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's Fig. 3-27(a). Point A is located about half way up the y-axis, while the 400 N force is located about 0.8m from the origin.

You don't need a lot of diagrams and whatnot to figure this out. If point A is the point about which a force causes rotation, you should be able to visualize this from a picture if you can see where the force is applied relative to point A.

15. Sep 23, 2015 #14
    since the author assume clockwise as positive here , so shouldn't the positive 400cos45 (0.3) rotate anticlockwise? i have drawn a diagram for the moment in the previous post , showing it is rotated in anticlockwise direction... i cant understand why the moment is in clockwise direction for the author...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted