Direction of the fastest rate of change of a function (Solution inclu)

So I can rewrite k as 2x-2 and plug that into the second equation, which gives me 2x-2=2(x+1)-4, and then I can solve for x, which is the same for y. So the point would be (1,2), correct?In summary, the direction of the fastest change for the function f(x,y)=x^{2}+y^{2}-2x-4y is i+j at all points on the line y=x+1, and the point (1,2) satisfies this condition.
mrcleanhands

Homework Statement

Find all the points at which the direction of the fastest rate of change of the function [itex]f(x,y)=x^{2}+y^{2}-2x-4y[/itex] is i+j

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The direction of the fastest change is [itex]\nabla f(x,y)=(2x-2)i+(2y-4)j[/itex], so we need to find all points (x,y) where [itex]\nabla f(x,y)[/itex] is parallel to i+j.

[itex]\Longleftrightarrow(2x-2)i+(2y-4)j=k(i+j)[/itex] [itex]\Longleftrightarrow[/itex] [itex]k=2x-2[/itex] and [itex]k=2y-4[/itex]

Ok here's where I start to get lost. How can k = two different things at the same time?

The solution continues:
Then [itex]2x-2=2y-4[/itex] [itex]\Longrightarrow y=x+1[/itex], so the direction of the fastest change is i+j at all points on the line y=x+1

Physics news on Phys.org
mrcleanhands said:

Homework Statement

Find all the points at which the direction of the fastest rate of change of the function [itex]f(x,y)=x^{2}+y^{2}-2x-4y[/itex] is i+j

Homework Equations

The direction of the fastest change is [itex]\nabla f(x,y)=(2x-2)i+(2y-4)j[/itex], so we need to find all points (x,y) where [itex]\nabla f(x,y)[/itex] is parallel to i+j.

[itex]\Longleftrightarrow(2x-2)i+(2y-4)j=k(i+j)[/itex] [itex]\Longleftrightarrow[/itex] [itex]k=2x-2[/itex] and [itex]k=2y-4[/itex]

Ok here's where I start to get lost. How can k = two different things at the same time?

The solution continues:
Then [itex]2x-2=2y-4[/itex] [itex]\Longrightarrow y=x+1[/itex], so the direction of the fastest change is i+j at all points on the line y=x+1

Right. You can't have ##k## equal two different things. What you do have to do is figure out what relation ##y## and ##x## must satisfy so that you have only one value ##k## needed. That requires that ##2x-2=2y-4##.

mrcleanhands said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The same way 4 can be equal to 2+ 2 and 3+ 1 "at the same time"= they are different ways of writing the same thing. That is why you can, as you say, write 2x- 2= 2y- 4.

The solution continues:

Ok, it just clicked.

What is the significance of the direction of the fastest rate of change of a function?

The direction of the fastest rate of change of a function, also known as the gradient or slope, gives information about the steepness and direction of change of a function at a specific point. This can be useful in determining the direction in which a function is increasing or decreasing, as well as identifying critical points and maximum or minimum values.

How is the direction of the fastest rate of change of a function calculated?

The direction of the fastest rate of change of a function can be calculated using the derivative of the function at a given point. This derivative represents the rate of change of the function at that point, and its direction can be determined using techniques such as the first derivative test or using directional derivatives.

What is the difference between positive and negative direction of the fastest rate of change of a function?

A positive direction of the fastest rate of change of a function indicates that the function is increasing in value at that point, while a negative direction indicates that the function is decreasing. This is often represented graphically as an upward or downward slope, respectively.

Can the direction of the fastest rate of change of a function change at different points?

Yes, the direction of the fastest rate of change of a function can change at different points. This is because the slope or gradient of a function can vary at different points along the function's curve. For example, a function may have a positive slope at one point and a negative slope at another point.

How can the direction of the fastest rate of change of a function be used in real-world applications?

The direction of the fastest rate of change of a function can be used in various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and more. For instance, in physics, it can be used to determine the velocity and acceleration of an object at a given point, while in economics, it can be used to analyze the rate of change of a company's profits or losses.