Direction of the force on the ramp due to the sliding block

In summary, if there is no friction, the answer depends on the direction in which the block is sliding. If there is friction, the answer is normal to the plane.
phy112-sp
How do you find the direction of force on a ramp due to a sliding block

I thought it would be in the direction of theta on the triangle but that wasnt correct. Thank you so much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is any friction, the answer depends on the direction
in which the block is sliding.
If no friction, then normal to the plane by definition.

there is a coefficient of kinetic friction = 0.20

and i had thought that the frictional force for the ramp would be in the direction that the block is sliding and the frictional force on the block would be in the other way but that doesn't seem to be the case

Remember friction resists motion, so it will be against the direction that it is moving.

LowlyPion said:
Remember friction resists motion, so it will be against the direction that it is moving.

This applies to the friction force on the block.
The question refers to the force exerted by the block on the ramp.

so I tried the answer of the direction opposint the direction of friction and that was not correct, i am not sure as to what i should do to try and figure this out

phy112-sp said:
there is a coefficient of kinetic friction = 0.20

and i had thought that the frictional force for the ramp would be in the direction that the block is sliding and the frictional force on the block would be in the other way but that doesn't seem to be the case

A highly relevant piece of information!
If not specified you also have to make the assumption that the
block is sliding down the slope.
Given "Friction force" = 0.2 *"Normal reaction" you can easily deduce
the angle that the resultant force makes with the normal to the plane.

I finally got the answer and it was perpendicular to the block (the normal force) and straight down (gravity) ! thank you so much for the help!

Related to Direction of the force on the ramp due to the sliding block

1. What is the direction of the force on the ramp due to the sliding block?

The direction of the force on the ramp due to the sliding block is dependent on the angle of the ramp and the weight of the block. If the ramp is sloped upwards, the force will be directed upwards against gravity. If the ramp is sloped downwards, the force will be directed downwards due to gravity.

2. Does the direction of the force on the ramp change as the block slides down?

Yes, the direction of the force on the ramp will change as the block slides down. As the block moves down the ramp, the force will shift from being directed upwards to being directed downwards due to gravity.

3. How does the angle of the ramp affect the direction of the force?

The angle of the ramp has a direct impact on the direction of the force. A steeper ramp will result in a greater downward force due to gravity, while a shallower ramp will have a smaller downward force and may even result in an upward force if the ramp is not steep enough.

4. What is the relationship between the weight of the block and the direction of the force?

The weight of the block directly affects the direction of the force on the ramp. The greater the weight of the block, the stronger the force will be in either an upward or downward direction depending on the angle of the ramp.

5. Is the direction of the force on the ramp constant or does it change?

The direction of the force on the ramp is not constant and will change as the block slides down the ramp. It is dependent on the angle of the ramp and the weight of the block, and will shift from being directed upwards to downwards or vice versa as the block moves down the ramp.