Directional Derivative - Right Steps?

In summary, we find the directional derivative of the function f(x,y) = e^{xy} at the point (-2,0) in the direction of the unit vector (\sqrt{3},1) by using the dot product and the chain rule to find the partial derivatives. The partial derivative with respect to x is ye^{xy} and the partial derivative with respect to y is xe^{xy}. Thus, the directional derivative is \sqrt{3}e^{xy}+e^{xy}. The result is -1.
kawsar
1. Find the directional derivative of the function f(x,y) = e[tex]^{xy}[/tex] at the point (-2,0) in the direction of the unit vector that makes an angle of [tex]\pi/3[/tex] with the positive x-axis

The vector to make into a unit vector is ([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex],1) and e[tex]^{xy}[/tex] differentiated with respect to x and y is both e[tex]^{xy}[/tex] (I hope I'm right here!)

Made the unit vector ([tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex],1))

Use the dot product of (e[tex]^{xy}[/tex],e[tex]^{xy}[/tex]) and ([tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex],1))

Then use the coordinates from the point (-2,0) and to get [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]+1

Is this correct or have I missed a step or two?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
kawsar said:
1. Find the directional derivative of the function f(x,y) = e[tex]^{xy}[/tex] at the point (-2,0) in the direction of the unit vector that makes an angle of [tex]\pi/3[/tex] with the positive x-axis

The vector to make into a unit vector is ([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex],1) and e[tex]^{xy}[/tex] differentiated with respect to x and y is both e[tex]^{xy}[/tex] (I hope I'm right here!)

Your mistake seems to be in taking the partial derivatives (as perhaps you suspected). Don't forget the chain rule!

For example,
[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \sin(x^2y) = 2xy \cos(x^2y)
[/tex]

Other than that, everything else looks good.

Hmmm... As I suspected!

Could you tell me the partial derivatives of e^xy please?

Thanks.

Do you know the derivative of e2x?

2e^(2x) so the other one is y*e^(xy) and x*e^(xy)...

Am I correct?

kawsar said:

Am I correct?

Looks good. So what is your new answer?

kawsar said:

Am I correct?
You are if you mean:

[tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(e^{xy})=ye^{xy}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial y}(e^{xy})=xe^{xy}[/tex]

spamiam said:
Looks good. So what is your new answer?

I get -1

Correct?

kawsar said:
I get -1

Correct?

Yes.

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of how a function changes in the direction of a specified vector. It is used to calculate the rate of change of a function at a given point in the direction of a specific vector.

2. How is the direction of a directional derivative determined?

The direction of a directional derivative is determined by a unit vector, which represents the direction in which the function is being evaluated. This unit vector is typically denoted by u or v.

3. What is the difference between a directional derivative and a partial derivative?

A directional derivative measures the rate of change of a function in a specific direction, while a partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, holding all other variables constant.

4. How is the directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated using the gradient of the function and the unit vector representing the direction in which the derivative is being evaluated. The formula for the directional derivative is: Duf(x,y) = ∇f(x,y) · u, where ∇f(x,y) is the gradient of the function and u is the unit vector.

5. What are some real-world applications of directional derivatives?

Directional derivatives are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to calculate the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. They can be used to optimize processes, such as finding the steepest descent of a terrain for hiking, or to model the flow of fluids in a particular direction.