What is the proof for Dirichlet's formula for integrals in atomic theory?

In summary, the conversation is about the Dirichlet formula, which is a particular case of a theorem. The proof of this formula can be found in the Differential and Integral Calculus Vol. II by Richard Courant. The formula can also be found in an online source. The proof involves using Leibniz rule and showing that a certain function is a constant.
andresordonez
Hi, I'm reading a paper about integrals that occur frequently in atomic theory, and the Dirichlet formula is mentioned.

[tex] \int_0^\infty\mathrm{d}x \int_x^\infty F(x,y)\mathrm{d}y = \int_0^\infty\mathrm{d}y\int_0^yF(x,y)\mathrm{d}x [/tex]

I'd like to see the proof of this formula, in what book can I look for it?

I googled it but only found a reference to it, in what might be an equivalent form (is it?).

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DirichletsFormula.html

Most of the results of the search are related to the class number formula (I don't have idea about number theory but I guess this isn't what I'm looking for)

Doesn't seem to be a very famous formula or maybe it is known with another name. Anyway, I'd like to see where does it come from.

Thanks!
(by the way, if you find anything wrong with my english please let me know)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a particular case of "[URL theorem[/URL].

This http://kr.cs.ait.ac.th/~radok/math/mat9/04c.htm" gives a proof of the desired result. I think it is from Differential and Integral Calculus Vol. II by Richard Courant, which I guess is reprinted online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Set [itex]\varphi(t):=\int_{0}^{t}\int_{x}^{t}F(x,y)dydx-\int_{0}^{t}\int_{0}^{y}F(x,y)dxdy[/itex] and show by Leibniz rule (provided that [itex]F[/itex] is continuous) that [itex]\varphi^{\prime}(t)\equiv0[/itex], i.e., [itex]\varphi[/itex] is a constant function.
Then, complete the proof by using [itex]\varphi(t)\equiv\varphi(0)=0[/itex] for all [itex]t[/itex].

1. What is Dirichlet's formula proof?

Dirichlet's formula proof is a mathematical proof that explains how the values of a certain type of sum, called a Dirichlet series, can be calculated using the values of another type of sum called a Dirichlet character. This formula is named after the mathematician Peter Gustav Lejeune Dirichlet who first proved it in the 19th century.

2. What is the significance of Dirichlet's formula proof?

Dirichlet's formula proof is significant because it provides a way to calculate the values of certain types of sums that were previously difficult to compute. This formula has important applications in number theory, as well as in other areas of mathematics and science. It has also been used to prove important theorems, such as the Prime Number Theorem.

3. How does Dirichlet's formula proof work?

Dirichlet's formula proof works by relating the values of a Dirichlet series to the values of a Dirichlet character. This relationship is based on a complex analysis technique known as analytic continuation. By using this technique, Dirichlet was able to prove that the values of a Dirichlet series can be calculated using the values of a Dirichlet character at certain points.

4. What are some common applications of Dirichlet's formula proof?

Dirichlet's formula proof has many applications in number theory, including calculating the values of arithmetic functions such as the Riemann zeta function and the Dirichlet L-function. It has also been used to prove the distribution of prime numbers in arithmetic progressions, and to study the distribution of square-free numbers.

5. Are there any limitations to Dirichlet's formula proof?

One limitation of Dirichlet's formula proof is that it only applies to certain types of sums, namely Dirichlet series and Dirichlet characters. It cannot be used to calculate the values of other types of sums. Additionally, the proof requires a deep understanding of complex analysis and may be difficult for those without a strong mathematical background to understand.