How to Overcome Disappointment in Love?

• Thread starter adamw1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, doing things that make you feel good and helping others will help you overcome a disappointment in love.
adamw1987
In your opinion what is the best thing to do to overcome a disappointment in love ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I would enjoy my other interests and meet new people.

There's a story about two monks who spot a woman in distress trying to cross a river and the senior monk decides to carry her to the other side. After a few hours of walking, the junior monks asks...

http://www.kindspring.org/story/view.php?sid=63753

Likes QuantumQuest, Pepper Mint, mister mishka and 3 others
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

I would enjoy my other interests and meet new people.

There's a story about two monks who spot a woman in distress trying to cross a river and the senior monk decides to carry her to the other side. After a few hours of walking, the junior monks asks...

I had heard that story before. It's a nice story. :smile:

Likes Pepper Mint
jedishrfu said:
Great story!

beautiful story that I did not know ...

Ask yourself why it felt so disappointing, are you holding unrealistic ideals about love? Was your perspective of the person a true reflection of them, or were you wishing they could be someone different? What sort of signs did you ignore? What could you have done differently? What could they have done differently not to disappoint you? Find their faults. Find yours. If you can understand why those faults occurred from both sides, then it will be easier to let go. You certainly don't need to blame yourself for the entire disappointment, but acknowledging your own behaviors is important to create the personal growth needed to move on. You are slightly better equipped to maintain a future rewarding relationship. In the relationship, did you learn more about loving a person or being loved?

Can you take what you have learned about yourself from the experience and grow from it? Or do you hesitate to confront your side?

Can you take what you have learned about loving another person and apply it to future relationships- thereby increasing the chances of that relationship working out?

I believe that when a story ends often blame lies with both

adamw1987 said:

And what would you do with this belief?

Of course, its true with each party shouldering some percentage of the blame...

Couldn't think of anything more appropriate than this:

"Listen, Morty, I hate to break it to you but what people call ‘love’ is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades, leaving you stranded in a failing marriage. I did it. Your parents are going to do it. Break the cycle, Morty. Rise above. Focus on science."
— Rick Sanchez, Rick and Morty

anything I just want to say that I am increasingly convinced that the end of a love story usually depends on both sides

adamw1987 said:
anything I just want to say that I am increasingly convinced that the end of a love story usually depends on both sides

That being said, you understand that you alone (aka your own thoughts) will be unable to come to any rational conclusion for the relationship, since there is actually no longer any "relationship" to be had. Any further contemplation on your part, is only within yourself. You simply do not know what the other person is thinking or how they have come about their own rationalizations. So yeah I can agree that a relationship depends on both sides, but if one side or the other stops relating with one another, then there is no longer any relationship. It will always be a compromise, but clearly see the difference between the relationship within your head and the one outside of it.

I'm afraid like a lot of things in life, it comes down to a Mystery Science Theater 3000 quote...

Pearl Forrester: Look, Nelson. Move on. I am.

Good luck to you.

adamw1987 said:
In your opinion what is the best thing to do to overcome a disappointment in love ?
BooHoooHoooo.jpg
Do little things that will rebuild your damaged self esteem .
Make it your goal to leave everybody you interact with today feeling a little better .
Tell a cashier you hope all her customers are friendly and thank her for "that pretty smile" .
Open a door for an older woman and address her as "ma'am ".
On your way into the market take somebody's shopping cart back for them. On the way out help some old folks lift the groceries into their car trunk.
Pick up a nail in a parking lot to keep it out of somebody's tire.
Let somebody into traffic.
Say something nice to the janitor where you work.
Thank somebody in a military uniform for their service.

Do it again tomorrow .

Go places where people are trying to improve themselves not drown their sorrows. Fair Anne and i met at the library .

My Uncle Bud was an airman in WW2.
At the USO dances he always went into the kitchen and helped the ladies with the dishes.
Invariably one of them would say "I have a daughter i'd like you to meet."
He met some really nice girls that way .old jim

Likes cnh1995, QuantumQuest and Pepper Mint
When I was living in my college dorm, my roommate once told me how to overcome disappointment in love. She told me that everyone had something they hated most,e.g the smell of durian, one's sweat, pisses, and even feces, etc; so if I disliked someone, I could pull out something I had as a keepsake of him and dirty it with the disgusting smell, and sniff it, I would then puke a lot and soon get rid of the guy out of my head. One of the worst college silly suggestions I ever had! :biggrin:

I learned and am still learning to lose my ego, high self-esteem so as not to get hurt in situations like this. You may need to learn why you get hurt when you lose someone or something, which is to learn about yourself. This way will probably help improve your mind then your behaviors.
I hope you won't find this video clip kind of gross after watching it.

jim hardy said:
Tell a cashier you hope all her customers are friendly
That is wonderful! I really liked that one.
A warm and fuzzy feeling for both people just from a simple comment that shows a little bit of empathy, with the recipient receiving a thought of knowing that someone does understand and cares, and the person as a benefactor sharing some of his/her own humanity, mellowing their own heart just by saying the words.
Much wisdom.

adamw1987 said:

I wouldn't call them lies, more like common cognitive biases that should be expected at the start. I think that the most rewarding aspects don't occur until the first few years of a partnership. It takes that long to peel away all those inaccurate ideas about ourselves and the other person. Once the recently invented romantic ideal is done away with, the realization that the other isn't responsible for our happiness gives the partnership a more rewarding and higher quality than before. We begin to see them more accurately. There is a certain beauty in loving and accepting someone with all their imperfections (who really wants a perfect partner) and not because of an ideal or what they do for you, but because you can appreciate them when they are going about their own business. We have to strive for a balance of more independence, some semi-dependence, and slight dependence in areas of the partnership, it is simply bound to end in disappointment when we assign so many expectations on one another. It may prevent you from feeling so crushed when it ends and retain self-esteem.

Life comes in seasons, marriage is the same. We cannot expect our partners to remain the same throughout those seasons either, we must practice forgiveness and maintain a foresight of the partnership at all times, so that we can work on changing the future. Faith and confidence about the partnership develops over time, many relationships end before that stage is met (it is an earning). And, when the results of the efforts show improvement, we can be less disappointed and more forgiving than before. However, when they blame you, or you blame them, then that implies the person wasn't doing the self-work or actually practicing and improving the relationship (letting you do the work instead). Like I said earlier, you are slightly more equipped now and know what type of person to avoid. You also know more about what behaviors you didn't like seeing in yourself and can set about working on it sooner.

Likes mister mishka
Pepper Mint said:
She told me that everyone had something they hated most,e.g the smell of durian, one's sweat, pisses, and even feces, etc; so if I disliked someone, I could pull out something I had as a keepsake of him and dirty it with the disgusting smell, and sniff it, I would then puke a lot and soon get rid of the guy out of my head. One of the worst college silly suggestions I ever had!

I used to use a shortcut to that trick back in HS and college when a friend would break down in whiny tears over a girl. It happened a lot and, in fact, still happens to some extent. I'd say, just imagine kissing her and she has really bad breath :oldruck:

That one always works in an emergency, but the sad truth is that we don't really want to ruin our image of someone we're infatuated with with such chicanery. What we really want is to continue to idolize them and have our affection requited. Very hard to control that, though. It's a mixed up, muckled up, shook up world when it comes to love.

adamw1987 said:

We all have been through this several times... There is no best thing to overcome disappointment in love. It just needs time. Every person has his / her own unique way to cope with this. I found the advice from jim hardy particularly useful, because it will force you to do everyday useful things and not think about your disappointment. Other than that, you can think that this is a normal thing to happen for several potential reasons, such is life, but after all, it's not the end of the world. More often than not - at least in my experience, being about 50 years old now, it will lead you to better choices in relationships and love. Sometimes sentimental tension is so high, that even the best advice, will make no sense. That is why it is time that is needed to balance the whole thing. Meantime, do the everyday things of your life and if you feel that the whole thing presses you, find more useful activities. After a while you'll have everything in its normal flow. Life still goes on...

Likes mister mishka
DiracPool said:
That one always works in an emergency, but the sad truth is that we don't really want to ruin our image of someone we're infatuated with with such chicanery. What we really want is to continue to idolize them and have our affection requited. Very hard to control that, though. It's a mixed up, muckled up, shook up world when it comes to love.
This is very true. I used to have to work with a married guy who had a problem with his decayed teeth. I never think he washed his mouth before going to work and he always acted naturally as if everyone had to endure his dirtiness. Even after he did, bacteria in his decayed teeth would regrow and cause the same bad smell in his breath. Every time we had a talk, I always tried to sit 2 or 3 meters away from him but was still unable to breathe. And after the meeting, I went to the bathroom still having the feeling of his mouth smell in my throat. How disgusting! I have no idea how his wife could take it every night. This is why I agree with you: Love conquers everything, physically and mentally.

in life it is exceeded you need to just have the courage to look ahead

Since this thread has run its course, it's time to close it. Thank you all for your contributions.

Likes Pepper Mint

1. How do I move on from a bad breakup?

Moving on from a bad breakup takes time and self-reflection. It's important to allow yourself to grieve and feel your emotions, but also to focus on self-care and engaging in activities that bring you joy. Surround yourself with supportive friends and family, and consider seeking therapy to work through your feelings.

2. Can disappointment in love affect future relationships?

Yes, disappointment in love can affect future relationships if it is not addressed and processed. It's important to reflect on past relationships and identify any patterns or red flags to avoid in future relationships. It's also important to communicate openly and honestly with potential partners about your past experiences and any fears or concerns you may have.

3. Is it normal to feel anger or resentment after being disappointed in love?

Yes, it is normal to feel a range of emotions after being disappointed in love, including anger and resentment. It's important to acknowledge and validate these emotions, but also to work through them in a healthy way. Engaging in therapy or talking to a trusted friend or family member can help you process and cope with these feelings.

4. How can I learn to trust again after being hurt in a relationship?

Learning to trust again after being hurt in a relationship takes time and patience. It's important to work on building trust with yourself first by setting boundaries and listening to your intuition. It's also important to communicate openly and honestly with your partner and to give them the benefit of the doubt. It may also be helpful to seek therapy to work through any underlying trust issues.

5. Can disappointment in love lead to self-doubt and low self-esteem?

Yes, disappointment in love can often lead to self-doubt and low self-esteem. It's important to remember that a relationship does not define your worth as a person. Engaging in self-care and surrounding yourself with positive influences can help boost your self-esteem. It may also be helpful to work with a therapist to address any negative thought patterns and build self-confidence.