Answer: Calculating Time to Discharge Capacitor Rated x Micro-Farads

• Thread starter James889
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time it takes to completely discharge a capacitor that is rated x micro-Farads and charged to a certain voltage, with a given constant discharge rate. It is mentioned that the voltage decay is linear if discharging with a constant current. The conversation also includes a mistake in posting in the wrong forum, which is later resolved.
James889
Hi,

If i have a capacitor rated x micro-Farads. And i know that it is charged to a certain voltage.
And it's being discharged by a current. How would i find the time it takes to completely discharge the capacitor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
google: capacitor rc

okay so it's an exponential decay type of function?
I suspect this is really easy. I have that the capacitor is rated at 1014[tex]\mu[/tex] farads
and that it is charged to 179V, and is being discharged at a constant rate of 163[tex]\mu[/tex]A

Last edited:
James889 said:
okay so it's an exponential decay type of function?
I suspect this is really easy. I have that the capacitor is rated at 1014[tex]\mu[/tex] farads
and that it is charged to 179V, and is being discharged at a constant rate of 163[tex]\mu[/tex]A

If you are discharging with a constant current, the voltage decay is not exponential, it is linear.

How exactly is this capacitor being discharged? How did it get to 179V in the first place?

Hmm, sorry. I just discovered i posted in the wrong forums.
Forgive me...

James889 said:
Hmm, sorry. I just discovered i posted in the wrong forums.
Forgive me...

No worries. Do you want me to move the thread to the Homework Help forums?

FAQ: Answer: Calculating Time to Discharge Capacitor Rated x Micro-Farads

1. How do you calculate the time to discharge a capacitor?

The time to discharge a capacitor can be calculated using the formula:
t = R x C
Where t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in micro-farads.

2. What is the significance of the capacitor's rated micro-farads?

The rated micro-farads of a capacitor is a measure of its capacitance, or its ability to store an electric charge. It determines how much charge the capacitor can hold and how quickly it can discharge.

3. How does the resistance affect the time to discharge a capacitor?

The resistance in the formula t = R x C represents the opposition to the flow of electric current. A higher resistance will result in a longer discharge time, while a lower resistance will result in a shorter discharge time.

4. Can the time to discharge a capacitor be reduced?

Yes, the time to discharge a capacitor can be reduced by either decreasing the resistance or increasing the capacitance. This can be achieved by using a lower resistance value or a higher rated capacitor.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when discharging a capacitor?

Yes, it is important to discharge a capacitor slowly and carefully to avoid any potential electric shock. It is recommended to use a resistor to discharge the capacitor and to handle it with caution, as it may still hold a charge even after being disconnected from a power source.